Talk

Advanced search

Snowsuit for newborn in March?

(21 Posts)
Lucille3 Sun 15-Oct-17 08:06:08

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I'm new to all this! I'm expecting my first baby due 28 Feb 2018 (aaaah!) and my mum excitedly bought a lovely little snowsuit from M&S. it's size 0-3 months but it looks huge! I'm wondering if my newborn will fit it, or if by the time it does, a snowsuit will be the wrong thing. I'm totally clueless when it comes to how to dress my newborn and wondering if I should exchange the snowsuit for something else at M&S a sit wasn't cheap at £22.

Lucille3 Sun 15-Oct-17 08:07:54

(Sorry, pressed post a little soon, any opinions/advice very gratefully received smile

WowserBowser Sun 15-Oct-17 08:11:36

I found that all snowsuits at first were fairly big. But it doesn't really matter if their feet and hands meet the ends. And it means they are not restricted with clothes underneath.

I remember my DB buying my ds a snowsuit (he was born in Dec) and it was 6 months + and I thought he would never wear it by the time he grew in to it. But he did!

I guess it depends on the size of the baby etc. I would probably keep it so they could wear it in the pram as a newborns. But I know a lot of people prefer blankets etc

KarmaNoMore Sun 15-Oct-17 08:11:48

I think you may want to exchange it if the baby is due in March, unless you are living in an area where people wear coats all the way into the summer.

eurochick Sun 15-Oct-17 08:15:34

I very much doubt that it will be needed by March.

Lucille3 Sun 15-Oct-17 08:18:57

Thanks folks, I thought March would be pushing it but didn't want to hurt my mums feelings. M&S may not exchange as it's been a while, but I could try. If not, it will be a one off photo op for my Mum smile

PotteringAlong Sun 15-Oct-17 08:21:06

Exchange it for a 9-12 month one? You won't need it in March.

dertyyuoih2 Sun 15-Oct-17 08:22:01

For me my little boy was a March baby but didn’t wear 0-3 months till 5 months old 🙈 ( he was 6lb) and 2nd-9th percentile so we had a 0-3 that we never ever used. We had an up to 10lbs one though that we used all the time, even to come back from hospital in ( was super big). I knew I was having a small baby from about 24 weeks as I needed growth scans and had placenta issues.

hopsalong Sun 15-Oct-17 08:24:49

I also don’t think you’ll need it in March, but the baby could be early! I have a baby born at the end of January and we definitely used a snowsuit for the first month or so. We used size 0-3 months but he was overdue and 9.5 lbs and it was quite big on him. So if anything (and wanting to preserve your mother’s photo opportunity) it might make sense to exchange it for a newborn size? I think only the biggest babies go straight into 0-3 months clothes.

NapQueen Sun 15-Oct-17 08:24:54

I had an October and a december baby and neither of them ever wore a Snowsuit. Far too thick for the carseat. Too faffy for in and out of shops as they can overheat and we didnt do any massively long walks out. We are in the North east so cold too.

We used thin zip up all in one fleeces, a hat, and layered with blankets which are easy to just pull back when nipping indoors etc.

CatsCatsCats11 Sun 15-Oct-17 08:25:51

I had a January baby and never used one. You can't wear them in the car and I was faffing with getting her in and out of a snowsuit whilst she's freezing out side. I used to love her straight from the car to carrycot and put lots on blankets on her. Was the worst £28 I spent on something!

CatsCatsCats11 Sun 15-Oct-17 08:26:29

Wasn't

CatsCatsCats11 Sun 15-Oct-17 08:27:08

Ffs move not love Sunday morning my typing is not good hope you understand

Changerofname987654321 Sun 15-Oct-17 08:27:40

Have a look at tuppance and crumble star blankets. I wish I had got one for DD.

You can’t use snow suits in car seats.

trilbydoll Sun 15-Oct-17 08:29:23

Snowsuits are only useful if you walk a lot. They're no good in the car, and if you're in and out of shops baby will overheat. It's much easier to wrap tiny babies up in blankets.

I used a snowsuit when DD2 was 18mo and walking because it kept her warm and dry while she was moving slowly and falling in puddles etc.

Lucille3 Sun 15-Oct-17 08:53:46

Thanks so much for your advice, seriously this is so helpful for a confused (and slightly overwhelmed) newbie!
This is my first thread so I didn't know what kind of responses I'd get.
I think I'll try to return the snowsuit and change it for something else, even babygros etc. then look into alternatives like the tuppance and crumble blankets. I don't drive so will be walking lots, but we do have a car and it makes sense to have something that can be used in both the car seat and the pram.
Mum will be fine about it I'm sure smile

NapQueen Sun 15-Oct-17 08:56:55

Dont know how old your mum is but in my mums day (she is mid fifties) babies were outside in pushchairs or buggies a LOT. Barely if ever in a car. Outside for naps etc. So a snowsuit was probably very handy. But probably much less so these days.

welshweasel Sun 15-Oct-17 08:57:06

I have no idea what the purpose of a snow suit is in the UK. Can't use them in the car, can't use them in a sling, only useful in a pram if it's really cold and you're not planning on going indoors at all (you'd have to take it off). Just use blankets. If you're planning on using a sling, then some soft booties can be useful so their feet don't get cold. I'd take it back and swap it for something that you'll use.

Highlove Mon 16-Oct-17 09:24:25

My March-born DD1 never wore her lovely 0-3 month snowsuit. By the time she wasn't lost in it, it was too warm. (And she was nearly 8lbs, so not tiny.) Thankfully DD2 timed her arrival so it did get used.

NikiBabe Mon 16-Oct-17 09:32:56

Do you wear down jackets and winter boots and clothes from march to june?

No.

Baby wont need it in summer and even in winter it is relatively mild here and snow suits arent really warranted. In Canada when it is -20 maybe.

Id ask her to return it.

Nottalotta Mon 16-Oct-17 22:45:32

Ds2 was born mid Feb. He was much larger than expected so nothing fit him, and he didn't wear anything snowsuit like or even a coat at all. Vest, baby grow at land blanket on top hat he had a couple of cardigans but that's all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now