Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Can anyone get my three year old to speed up? Please?

(9 Posts)
ElphabaTheGreen Sat 14-Oct-17 22:18:54

DS2 (3y2m) is the slowest-moving child on the face of the planet. He bimbles along at a pace that would bore a snail. Partly, he likes to marvel at the wonders of nature - collecting leaves, stones, berries etc while humming tunelessly to himself, but his pace when he isn’t handing me his latest finds is still sloth-like. As a result, I’m concerned I’m getting in a slightly self-perpetuating cycle of non-walking - if I really need to be somewhere, he doesn’t get to walk at all, and goes straight into the pram or the sling (which doesn’t bother his lazy little arse one bit). Or he’ll get to walk a tiny bit, then get bundled up, as often as not because his dynamo, completely opposite, 5yo brother has shot off out of sight. I’ll often give DS1 to DH to supervise and I’ll stay with DS2 - today we went to our local park like this. DH/DS1 took 8 minutes to get there on bike/foot. DS2 and I took THIRTY FIVE MINUTES on foot. DS2 wasn’t even remotely fatigued after this - he carried on slowly to the playground and around the park - so I don’t think there’s anything pathological going on. Just a lack of oomph. He’s similarly inactive in a swimming pool - just likes to hang there, smiling prettily, humming, pulling daft faces, and generally ignoring any requests to expend any energy to propel himself.

I’ve tried getting a sense of competition into him, or getting him to chase me - ‘Oh, DS1’s going to beat you to the park! See if you can get there first!’ or ‘Eek! It’s a monster called DS2 and he’s chasing me!’ (There’s probably a local madwoman alert out with my photo on it.) He’ll look at me disdainfully and say, ‘It’s not a race, mummy.’ And carry on at his own pace. We were out running around a huge open field with DS1 a few weeks ago to see if that would light a fire under him. I deliberately got a long way away from him to see if it would make him nervous enough to speed up. I shouted for him and he gave me this knowing grin then, I shit you not, started walking ^backwards a^way from me incorporating these jazzy arm moves and a bum-wiggle just to drive the point home.

Don’t bother suggesting a balance bike or a scooter - he has both, and by some miracle of physics manages to achieve about half his walking pace on each, then gets bored after about 10 agonising minutes of inch-wise progress, so I end up carrying those as well.

I’m seriously thinking of rigging up a hat that suspends a bag of chocolate buttons just out of his reach to see if it spurs him into action.

Any better ideas??

starpatch Sun 15-Oct-17 21:21:16

No ideas. But he sounds so sweet!

NotThereEileen Sun 15-Oct-17 21:23:50

No advice.
Love love your post wine for you

OuchBollocks Sun 15-Oct-17 21:26:28

Does it really matter? It won't be long before leaves and twigs and snails don't interest him.

RandomMess Sun 15-Oct-17 21:28:06

I have one like that, she is 14 now, still takes life slowly in the main...

Just roll with it to do otherwise will just drive you insane.

She is my third btw, there is 4th - she always did love sitting in the pushchair!!!!

ohnowhatcanido Sun 15-Oct-17 21:37:45

Haha this is my son to a T!

I have no advice, unfortunately. The balance bike works for us, but the scooter is just laughable. Every two scoots he stops to manoeuvre to avoid something tiny on the pavement. We once told him to watch out for people walking, so now when he sees anyone coming, he stops, gets off and waits. Even if they are 10m away. And stairs...oh god don't get me started on stairs.

Every plea to hurry is answered by "I am hurrying!' or "it's as fast as I can go!" Which is sort of laughable as we are overtaken by passing snails 🤣.

The silver lining though is he never bolts off, so can generally be trusted to 'wander' and genuinely I've never had to run after him!! Also he's a thinker not a 'doer' and I find that rather endearing.

I just have to remind myself of this every time we plan anything and leave plenty of time... Plenty!!

CJCreggsGoldfish Sun 15-Oct-17 21:42:36

Awww, no advice but he sounds lovely. I have a nearly 3 year old. Every walk includes finding a 'big leaf' for him to hold - small ones do not cut the mustard, admiring anything in the sky, and telling him the numbers on every door we pass.

TheABC Sun 15-Oct-17 21:47:29

I have two bolter's. One in each direction - buggyfit used to be hilarious. Your DS sounds sweet. Stick with the buggy for now: when he gets older, the reward system will kick in (take the book away).

ElphabaTheGreen Mon 16-Oct-17 15:19:09

Sigh. He is cute, she said through gritted teeth. Chocolate button lure hat it is, then,

OuchBollocks My concern is that in trying to allow DS1 to fulfil his huge exercise requirements, I’m restricting DS2’s, and thereby slowing his walking even more. If I could just get a bit more speed into him, doing things like the school run with both of them on foot would be great. It’s an ideal distance for a three year old, but as it stands, DS1 would be half way home before DS2 had even left the gate. As it’s busy roads, I have to pram/sling DS2, so I can keep up with DS1. Taking them both to the park solo is also impossible. DS2 is also decidedly more pudding-like than DS1 - he likes his food more and I would really like him to get more enthusiastic about moving to counterbalance that!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: