Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

How to explain hijab to 3 year old?

(10 Posts)
archersfan3 Tue 10-Oct-17 18:32:53

My son watched Apple tree house and asked why mali's grandma had her 'hood up'. I attempted to explain but was struggling...
Are there any videos or anything for kids out there?
We live in a fairly non-multicultural small town so opportunities to meet/talk to anyone who wears a religious headcovering are limited.
(PS apologies if 'hijab' is the wrong word).

Mabelface Tue 10-Oct-17 18:48:12

I'd just say that people like to wear different clothes.

archersfan3 Tue 10-Oct-17 18:48:58

PS I grew up in a big city and one of my worries about living in a small place as we do now is that the children will grow up with limited experience of other cultures.

isthistoonosy Tue 10-Oct-17 18:51:32

I'be said x's mummy wants to keep that part of her face private the same as I don't show my belly but 'y' does. We all get to make our own decisions about what parts of us are private.

QueenofallIsee Tue 10-Oct-17 18:51:56

That in some cultures women prefer to/tend to cover their hair - its not a tough one really. Harder is a face veil, I did take the plunge and say that some people call it a matter of modesty and religion but that I personally thought of it as oppressive to women (My kids asked at 8/9 ish from memory when we were visiting a big city near us)

lornathewizzard Tue 10-Oct-17 18:53:35

My Dd is 3 and I would just have said it was different clothes tbh

isthistoonosy Tue 10-Oct-17 18:53:59

My kid was three when I gave that answer btw.

archersfan3 Tue 10-Oct-17 20:27:22

Thank you - some good thoughts there. I like the 'private' suggestion 'isthistoonosy' - I don't wear skimpy clothes so that would work for me. I can try the 'different clothes' but he's quite persistent when he's curious about something so I'm not sure that would quite be enough for him.

TwoPrincesses87 Thu 12-Oct-17 01:23:51

There is a good childrens book that recently came out that was read at my daughters nursery. It's called "hats of faith" and helps to talk about all different customs for people of different cultures and religions. If you feel it would be helpful I would look into it!

archersfan3 Thu 12-Oct-17 08:12:06

Thank you TwoPrincesses, I will look into that.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: