Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

What to do with baby during the day?

(5 Posts)
yummymummy1988 Mon 09-Oct-17 15:35:03

I’ve recentley decided not to go back to work so I can be a stay at home Mum to my DS who’s 8 months. I’m finding I’m struggling to keep him entertained, I find I put him on the floor with his toys or in his jumparoo, which my mother likes to make me feel guilty about ‘ignoring him’ when she comes round.
What does everyone else do with their babies? Seems a silly question I know!

Redredredrose Mon 09-Oct-17 15:39:28

I took DS out as much as possible, because let's face it, looking after a baby at home is dull dull dull. Or had other mum friends round with their babies. Otherwise I just tried to entertain him with toys etc. He was very high maintanence so no leaving him to entertain himself, sadly!

I also used to watch boxsets quite a lot, but now I wonder if that contributed to his slight speech delay, so I wouldn't advise it.

HopeAndJoy16 Mon 09-Oct-17 15:49:54

My LG is 5m, I go out as much as I can in the mornings so it's usually just the afternoon I'm sat at home with her. I take her swimming, go to various playgroups, we sometimes go to the garden center and look at the fish and small animals. Often for just a walk to the shops/park. We're starting baby massage soon and we do a baby sing a long group too. I've usually for access to a car during the week and the playgroups I can walk to which helps xx

2014newme Mon 09-Oct-17 15:52:23

Go put to baby groups, baby peeps etc
Ask your health visitor. Meet with other shams at home or park. Go to library. Feed ducks. Read to date. Listen to music together. Etc.
I found it mind numbing but some people like it.

AssassinatedBeauty Mon 09-Oct-17 16:45:30

Pretty much what PP have said. With DS1 I made some sensory toys and made a treasure basket, and would set stuff up in the evening for him to explore the next morning. DS2, not so much!

It's perfectly ok to let them play on their own if they're happy to, for a while. I also used to involve them in what I was doing, so for example I'd put the baby in the high chair in the kitchen with some (unbreakable) kitchen things to bash whilst I cooked.

I'd try and get out of the house every day, to a group/activity or to somewhere for an interesting pushchair walk.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: