Talk

Advanced search

Wind in babies - anyone found gripe water useful?

(10 Posts)
HashtagTired Sun 08-Oct-17 08:34:49

I wouldn’t say my ds has colic because he doesn’t scream for hours on end but he’s clearly suffering with it - drawing his legs up, lots of farts, yelping and crying (but not continually), his belly sounds alive with the wind passing through.

We burp him every feed, with reasonable success. Give infacol.

But what about gripe water?? Is it any good, has anyone found it helped?

abbsisspartacus Sun 08-Oct-17 08:35:43

I found it better than infacol

KarateKitten Sun 08-Oct-17 08:37:28

Gripe water, infacol etc. are all only useful in that that help you feel like you're doing something to help in my experience. So go for it with the gripewater! What will work with the miserable squirming that we all assumes is wind but nobody really knows, is time. It will suddenly overnight get better.

Suzysuz Sun 08-Oct-17 08:40:59

I know they help for others but didn't seem to for us - son regularly would be in discomfort in early hours with wind.
Tummy massage through the day and before night, tummy time and switching to Comfort formula (he is mixed fed) seemed to help - or it may have done nothing and his little system matured to cope better gradually!

Cantthinkofaname123 Sun 08-Oct-17 19:31:57

It worked a bit for me but then I tried dentinox and that was the only thing that really helped.

AnaKristina Sun 08-Oct-17 21:29:45

Helped 2.5 ml given in the teat several times a day before feeds. Infacol did nothing.

Changerofname987654321 Sun 08-Oct-17 21:32:51

Gripe water was a saviour for us. Boots gripe mixture is the best.

Blahblahboo Sun 08-Oct-17 21:35:20

It was useless for mine. It depends on the baby

minipie Sun 08-Oct-17 21:35:58

Most effective thing is to try to get them swallowing less air in the first place. If BF - get a bf counsellor to check latch, check for tt, check for fast let down, all these can cause excess wind intake. If FF is he making a good seal with the bottle, if not try another type, or try the special anti wind bottles with the straw inside (sorry can't remember name)

MrsHarveySpecterV Mon 09-Oct-17 21:51:34

It worked wonders for my babies but it will get better when they start to be less curled up!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now