Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Will DC2 also have CMPA?

(8 Posts)
NotAUserNumberSoNotATroll Thu 05-Oct-17 15:03:04

DC1 was diagnosed with CMPA at 6wks and is still dairy free as a toddler. It's not a major allergy but mild eczema, very colicky, lots of reflux was EBF so I followed dairy free diet until weaned.

Now planning DC2, do I need to assume will also be CMPA? Should I go dairy free before birth the reintroduce it slowly? Or start on dairy and see if they manage? Not sure I can cope with the non-sleeping colicky baby again!

ElspethFlashman Thu 05-Oct-17 15:06:46

No, don't assume. My first was diagnosed very early but my second was 100% different. I haven't heard of that many cases with multiple children in a family with it. Going dairy free is fucking hard so wait and see.

ScarletBegonia1234 Thu 05-Oct-17 15:07:55

I was in the same position as you: ds is still dairy free at 2.5 and failed the milk ladder at pancakes last month.

Dd is 10 weeks old. I went dairy free 3 weeks before due date as I value sleep more than cheese (justsmile). Definitely the right choice as she is so chilled out compared to my high needs reflux experience last time! I am going to try dairy at 3 months...though I have accidentally had a latte made with cows milk and she was fine. This would have been disastrous for ds so I'm hopeful she may be unaffected or at least not as bad!

MiniAlphaBravo Thu 05-Oct-17 15:07:58

Dd1 was but dd2 not at all. I wouldn't go dairy free or assume. They are all different. Fingers crossed no allergies this time around for you.

HLBug Thu 05-Oct-17 15:11:32

I can only tell you me experience here - DS was diagnosed with CMPA as a baby (eventually...at about 13 weeks...) but thankfully completed the milk ladder when he was 1.y.o and now has no problems.

DD was born earlier this year. Was diagnosed with CMPA at 2 weeks. Massive thing was that we immediately recognised the symptoms and pushed for a dairy free formula. GP knew our background with DS and agreed. So, we didn't actually have to "cope" with colic etc etc for too long in comparison to what we went through with DS. I'm hopeful that DD will also grow out of it and be fine as a toddler...but we'll just need to wait and see I suppose.

Another 2 mums I know had CMPA issues with their first child. Both have since had another baby - one who also has CMPA and one who doesn't. So, luck of the draw!

NotAUserNumberSoNotATroll Thu 05-Oct-17 15:15:19

Really pleased to hear that DC2 might be ok, that'd be great!

Also value sleep fractionally more than cheese (DC1 still wakes 2-3times a night and is an earlier riser) which is why I'd consider it.

Is there a chance eating too much dairy could cause CMPA? I've always wondered if I "overloaded" DC1!

ScarletBegonia1234 Thu 05-Oct-17 17:24:41

I hope not! I had a cheese shower instead of a baby shower this time grin

Acorncat Sat 07-Oct-17 08:50:00

My first had cmpi so I was really hoping my second wouldn't, so kept eating dairy. But I cut it out again when baby about 3 weeks old as she was showing signs. I don't think it's as bad though so I'm going to try and introduce it once she's weaning to know for sure.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: