Talk

Advanced search

Children sharing a bath?

(16 Posts)
Kathysclown Wed 04-Oct-17 18:23:15

What age did your children stop sharing baths?

I have 2 DC, one aged 8 and one aged 5, different sexes. Occasionally they still share a bath, although generally not.

Is this too old? Not sure what the appropriate cut off is - the older one generally prefers a bit of privacy, but still chooses to jump in with the younger one now and again, so I am being led by them really, but just wondering if they are getting a bit too old now.

Thoughts?

Changerofname987654321 Wed 04-Oct-17 18:24:51

They are too old when they nolonger want to share a bath or they don't fit in together.

Bryna Wed 04-Oct-17 18:25:39

I think the general advice is about 7, when they start to ‘notice’ differences, you are right to be led by your children, they will tell you when it’s time to stop!

TheKidsAreTakingMySanity Wed 04-Oct-17 18:31:32

What @Changerofname987654321 said.

They're too old when they don't want to do it any longer.

Kathysclown Wed 04-Oct-17 18:32:21

OK, great - thanks for the reassurance - will carry on letting them decide.

MusicToMyEars800 Wed 04-Oct-17 18:33:31

I have 2 dd's aged 5 and 7 and they still bath together, It will stop as soon as they don't want to.

2014newme Wed 04-Oct-17 18:35:20

Mine started preferring showers age about 7

OhtoblazeswithElvira Wed 04-Oct-17 18:38:54

Mine are 3 and 7 and they noticed the differences a long time ago! They still LOVE playing together in the bath and splashing each other so we are no doing separate baths / showers yet.

Evilstepmum01 Wed 04-Oct-17 18:47:00

I wonder this too! Dsd is 9 and ds is 4. They love bathing together still. Yes they notice differences but that's normal! We're starting to put dsd in first so she has her own space, then ds gets in for splashy fun!
Think she'll grow out of it fairly soon, if not I think we'll knock it on the head. grin

florentinasummertime Wed 04-Oct-17 18:50:11

I dont think children automatically let parents know when something isnt comfortable. I would say about 6.

silkpyjamasallday Wed 04-Oct-17 18:51:53

I had baths with my younger brother until I was 8 or 9, he is 4 years younger. We liked playing with our playmobile pirate ship together but at some point I must have wanted to stop sharing. I just played from the side of the bath from that point.

SunsetSunrise Wed 04-Oct-17 18:52:23

My 4 year old asked me yesterday why I didn't have a willy so they definitely notice from a young age.

Bryna Thu 05-Oct-17 18:12:18

‘Notice’ differences was the wrong choice of words, what I meant was to become uncomfortable with differences, this will happen at different times for different children, it will also depend on the age gap between them.

DarthMaiden Thu 05-Oct-17 18:19:40

DSD and DS stopped sharing when DSD was about 6 and he was 3.

Previously they’d enjoyed playing in the bath together but then she started to indicate she wanted to bath alone. Initially not an outright “I want my own bath” but saying “I’d like a bath tomorrow instead of today” or “can I have my bath later”.

No drama just said that’s fine.

As per pp’s I think you let the children lead you on this. However I’d just caution that you might not get a direct “I don’t want to share anymore” so just be aware you might get signs a bit more subtle you need to pick up on.

clairetoon72 Thu 05-Oct-17 18:24:02

when they no longer want to?

Tilapia Thu 05-Oct-17 20:03:23

My 8yo DS and 10yo DD usually have their own baths but occasionally share. Not a problem IMO.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now