Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

how to teach 4 yr old to ride without stabilizers?

(17 Posts)
lyssie29 Tue 26-Sep-17 19:47:07

Any tips? She keeps asking but i dont really know the best and fastest approach. she goes everywhere on her bike at the minute with stabilizers on.

WhereTheFuckIsWonderWoman Tue 26-Sep-17 19:48:59

Have you tried a balance bike? My DD never had stabilisers but managed the transition from balance bike really well.

Winteriscomingneedmorewood Tue 26-Sep-17 19:51:15

I took ds to a local field that had a slope. . And pushed him, told him to keep pedalling and he did!! Took daily trips for a week but he did it at 3.6. .
Older ds was 2.2!! I was trying to show ds 3.4 who wasn't interested and he took off on the bike!!

FurryGiraffe Tue 26-Sep-17 19:53:21

Balance bike, or take the pedals off a normal bike and get them to use it like a balance bike. Once they can balance for a good long stretch, adding the pedals in is easy.

TheMasterNotMargarita Tue 26-Sep-17 19:55:16

Balance bike x 100.
Had one for dd since she was around 3 1/2.
Got on a bike at 5 and pedalled off into the sunset. No fuss, no falls, totally amazing.

Muddlingalongalone Tue 26-Sep-17 19:56:26

Take the pedals off and practise on a small incline

Crumbs1 Tue 26-Sep-17 19:57:46

Hold the saddle and run.

spiderbabymum Tue 26-Sep-17 19:59:56

Balance bike first . Then normal bike

RatOnnaStick Tue 26-Sep-17 20:01:33

Ds2 has great balance on his balance bike but he's crap at pedals and terrified without stabilisers.

Not all children are good at bikes and there's no quick way of getting them happily pedalling.

7ways Tue 26-Sep-17 20:04:18

Take pedals off and lower the seat so like others have said, the normal bike becomes a balance bike.

Get them used to controlling brakes - so they can stop, but not 'slam on'

Then once they can balance and stop, pedals back on..

LaughingElliot Tue 26-Sep-17 20:04:34

Just dress them on protective clothing and stock up on band aids then head to the park for an hour. They’ll get it!

HeyMicky Tue 26-Sep-17 20:04:42

Long cotton scarf round the chest and under the arms. You can kind of suspend them as they start off and then gradually loosen as they gain confidence. Amazing trick I learned from a friend

DD (just 5) did it in about 15 minutes this weekend just gone. Honestly, it was so quick!

HeadDreamer Tue 26-Sep-17 20:06:14

DD was terrified about getting on a proper bike without stabilisers. She could ride a balance bike. We only let her used the stabiliser until she could pedal. Then it was just a lot of back breaking effort! We used a flat stretch of cycle path because DD was very cautious. we also hold only her body under her arm, not the bike. The bike is low enough so she could touch the ground with both feet. Then she was told to glide and then try to pedal.

NellWilsonsWhiteHair Tue 26-Sep-17 20:07:13

Mine went from balance to two wheels, so not quite the same experience, but the best tip I had was to hold him at first to help balance, rather than the saddle, because that way they don't get accustomed to the bike itself holding upright. I also found starting on grass, and ideally very very gently downhill, was quite ideal - the grass is slower and obviously softer, the downhill gets them going a bit which seems to help. Saddle may need to be lower without stabilisers? Although perhaps adjusting that will be so disorienting that it's counter-productive. They need to be able to put their feet down more sturdily than an adult cyclist though.

SisyphusDad Tue 26-Sep-17 21:11:56

Balance Bike. After having had it from an early age, DS went straight from BB to bike without stabilisers in minutes. Get one with a brake though. He didn't realise how much faster a pedal bike could go, and putting your feet down to brake a fast pedal bike is not a good idea.

ErrolTheDragon Tue 26-Sep-17 22:06:28

Whether by accident or design, the stabilizers on my bike were set so that only one at once could touch the ground, and if I was careful I could ride without either touching.... obviously an enjoyable challenge rather than an ordeal as I can remember it happily ~50 years later.grin

Shadow666 Tue 26-Sep-17 22:09:06

Yes, one way is to gradually raise the stabilizers. I've always done the back breaking hold the saddle method. We practice for 10 min every day after school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now