Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Bed wetting 7 year old

(7 Posts)
CaptainAmericasShield Tue 26-Sep-17 10:52:26

DS, just turned 7, has been reliably dry in the daytime since aged 3 or so. A few accidents in reception class but nothing since (yr 3 now).

But he frequently wets the bed and his PJs nearly always smell of wee even if the bed is dry. He is a very heavy sleeper, always has been. We take him to the toilet about 10.30 or so which I know isn't recommended but otherwise he just wets.

We've noticed he wets more when a change is about to occur, e.g starting school again after holidays.

We really try hard not to get cross at him and just change the sheets etc.

He's starting to occasionally wake up at night and go to the toilet so the wee hormone must be kicking in.

Am now thinking about a bed wetting alarm as he gets embarrassed by the wetting. Should I leave it a bit longer though? Should I go via the GP or just obtain one myself? I don't think there are underlying issues but I can't be sure of course.

What are your thoughts please?

tellitlikeitispls Tue 26-Sep-17 10:58:36

You can see the GP and they might refer him to the enuresis clinic.
This is what we did with our eldest at 7. However whilst we followed all the rules (drinking and toileting at specific times, water and milk only, no fluids after 6pm) and we tried the alarm and the hormone tablets, he stopped when his body ready, which was when he was 9. Until then he wore the huggies pants at night. No-one wants to be changing wet beds over and over.
I have a 7 year old who stopped in the last few months. Again, he stopped when his body was ready.
You don't need to try hard to not get cross with him. Night time enuresis is not the childs fault - they cannot control it.
The fact that he is starting to wake means that yes, maybe his hormones are kicking in.

Itscurtainsforyou Tue 26-Sep-17 11:04:34

Yes get a referral from your gp. It's horrible for the children when they do this, please don't blame the child - mine gets really upset when he wets the bed.

We stopped bothering with Huggies etc as he weed right through them.

CaptainAmericasShield Tue 26-Sep-17 11:36:53

Thanks both. I do know it's not his fault, I just mentioned the trying not to get cross because when you're tired and faced with another wet bed, it is a natural reaction! Or maybe I don't have enough patience especially when the 4 yr old has started wetting at night again.

He refuses pull ups now. Fair enough.

I think I'll try the GP and see what they say. I assume they will want to see him too, I try not to make this a big thing, he is already embarrassed by it.

Itscurtainsforyou Tue 26-Sep-17 12:26:24

My gp didn't need to see my child. I mentioned it while at an appointment for me, was told to book a telephone appt in his name. We discussed it all over the phone and gp put a referral in straight away.

Fwiw there are a range of things they ask you to try on your first referral appointment- drinking lots during the day to expand bladder, no drinks less than an hour before bed, avoiding blackcurrent juice (?). Have a google so you can try them before you go (it's sometimes a few months wait for an initial appt).

mary45678 Sun 15-Oct-17 02:37:25

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

ppeatfruit Sun 15-Oct-17 15:05:24

I've heard that avoiding dairy milk is a good idea. Try it for a couple of weeks and see if he improves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now