Talk

Advanced search

How would you feel if your child changed their full name?

(7 Posts)
LeeBee23 Mon 25-Sep-17 12:02:41

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I'm new here and couldn't find the right place to put it. I'm thinking of changing my name completely, first, last and middle name but I don't know how I would go about telling my mum or anyone else in my family or friends. It's not that I don't think they'll be supportive, but I just don't know how to go about it. Any idea how to go about it? After I've changed my name, should I continue to let them call me by my birth name? And parents how would you feel if your child changed their full name to something different? Would you continue to call them by their birth name or their new name?

corlan Mon 25-Sep-17 12:09:08

I think it would depend on why you are changing your name.
I know someone who changed his name to hide his ethnicity and that has caused bad feeling in his family.
Can you give us an idea of what your reasons for the name change are?

NotTheDuchessOfCambridge Mon 25-Sep-17 12:11:23

I'd feel sad if my DC changed their names. I chose them because I loved them, and they suited them.
Why do you want to change your name OP?

LeeBee23 Mon 25-Sep-17 12:11:53

Sorry should have been more specific. It's nothing personal, I just don't like my first name or my surname, but at the same time I don't want to hurt or offend my family. I don't think they would be, I have a very small, understanding family. I just don't feel like my name suits me and it doesn't feel like me.

MollyHuaCha Mon 25-Sep-17 12:11:54

It's actually quite hard to change the name you call someone. My cousin did this. But his parents and several family members could never bring themselves to use the new name. He has ended up being known as a hyphenated mishmash of both old and new names.

LeeBee23 Mon 25-Sep-17 12:36:58

I would be absolutely fine if my close family members and friends continued to use my birth name. If I change my name it would be to my current middle name, which several people already call me by so it wouldn't be a huge transition I don't suppose xx

Eeeeek2 Mon 25-Sep-17 14:56:32

I know a family that changed their surname (to his dads name previously had been mothers name)

The surname has been easier to get used to as the old one has never been used since. The dad also changed his first name but still gets called his old name too and therefore I find I'd difficult to think of him as his new name. He doesn't mind which he gets called.

I do wonder how their eldest child will feel once they grow up and have to deal with a name change on official documents that they won't even remember.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now