Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Almost 3 and hysterical about changing nappy!

(55 Posts)
Astrongcupoftea Mon 14-Aug-17 07:18:45

It's getting ridiculous. The battles. He is a placid and pleasant child except this which causes him such distress! He becomes hysterical! He screams and loses his temper and goes nuts and throws the nappies away and says "No nappy! I go away! I put nappy away!"

He is getting very difficult about changing clothes and anything to do with his Willy which he is getting very guarded and defensive about. He only goes in the bath if he can stand up in it wearing his nappy.

He have been as kind as we can but right now he has a poo in his nappy and we're going to have to spend 20 minutes basically begging him to change it!!!!!

Igottastartthinkingbee Mon 14-Aug-17 07:20:42

Maybe time to potty train?

GoingplaceZ Mon 14-Aug-17 07:22:06

Ummmmm potty train him then lol?

WindyScales Mon 14-Aug-17 07:22:46

I've just potty trained my 2.5 yr old and she is the same with putting her nighttime nappy on. Do you think yours is ready to potty train?

LittleCandle Mon 14-Aug-17 07:23:19

Stop begging and just tell him! You are the adult. Perhaps it is time to potty train him since nappies are causing such distress. You don't need to be angry, but just be firm. If he gets away with behaviour like this at 3, what is he going to be like at 13? You also need to get to the bottom of his behaviour. Is he in pain? Have a word with your HV about this. They might have suggestions to help. Does he have special needs? This does need to be investigated, but in the meantime, you need to be firm but kind to deal with this.

OrphanAccount Mon 14-Aug-17 07:23:51

He's almost 3 and telling you he no longer wants nappies. Time to give potty training a go I think.

Astrongcupoftea Mon 14-Aug-17 07:33:13

But that's the thing,we want to train him but he's having none of it!

It's only this weekend we actually persuaded him to even sit on the toilet (on the toddler insert). He sat on it three times which is miraculous. But he would be very resistant to being on it bare arsed.

WindyScales Mon 14-Aug-17 07:46:31

Have you let him pick out his own potty and made a big fuss about it. My DD wouldn't sit on a toilet when I first potty trained her, I think she was intimidated by it. But now (about 2 months later) she's not really interested in the potty and wants to sit on the toilet. She's progressing in stages. Your son sat on the loo 3 times in 1 day/weekend, if he's never done that before that is progress. Maybe you need to think of taking it in smaller stages?

OrphanAccount Mon 14-Aug-17 07:51:21

Could you let him choose him own potty and pants? It's quite common for toddlers to not like the toilet.

WindyScales Mon 14-Aug-17 07:54:31

Yes (I forgot about the pants), let him chose those too! Something with his favourite character on it or if he likes bright colours. Make it fun.

Bribery to use the potty/wee in pants is also effective. We've been using chocolate buttons, then as time goes on chocolate buttons just for poos and then just phase it out.

Astrongcupoftea Mon 14-Aug-17 08:04:03

We finally changed his nappy this morning by bribing him with a biscuit which he promptly forgot about so he got porridge afterwards instead.

So I told DH about this thread and he invited DS into the toilet and showed him himself doing a poo (we've been doing that for weeks) and then after they flushed he asked DS if he'd like to do a poo and he allowed DH to take down his trousers and nappy! Apparently he even strained and said "No...it's all gone"

We are so proud!

But what's the next move? He is going to nursery today and they have regular nappies. Do we start with training pants instead of nappies?

ImDoingLaundry Mon 14-Aug-17 08:39:20

Take some training pants to nursery, tell them you're starting potty training and what he's done at home so far. They should be supportive.

It really sounds like he's ready to be without nappies, but not sure what to do. Does he understand the concept of sticker reward charts yet?

Astrongcupoftea Mon 14-Aug-17 08:43:42

No we've never used them. But tbh we've acted like it's the greatest thing in the history of the world and he's so happy right now he's hyper!

ImDoingLaundry Mon 14-Aug-17 09:05:48

Cute grin let us know how it goes!

liquidrevolution Mon 14-Aug-17 09:11:16

And remember pull ups for night time and they are special night pants NOT nappies.

DD just decided to wear pants one morning before nursery. She was dry all day and hasnt worn nappies since.

Astrongcupoftea Mon 14-Aug-17 09:26:49

Thanks! Fingers crossed!

Cutesbabasmummy Mon 14-Aug-17 10:10:10

Definitely ready for potty training. No more nappies! My advice is whatever you do don't go back to nappies or they get confused xx

waterrat Mon 14-Aug-17 19:38:19

At his age dont wear training pants he can just learn to go ! The nursery will have to help potty train him and they should accept that involves accidents.

Astrongcupoftea Wed 16-Aug-17 17:29:07

Ok guys update is that we're not progressing. He's refused to sit in the toilet since. We've switched to training pants but he still refuses to let us change his nappy.

We're doing everything we can to transition him, including telling him stories whilst he's sitting on it. But he really won't sit on it. He won't even sit on my lap when I'm having a wee! But he's happy to observe and tell me to wash my hands!

He told me he's frightened of the toilet. He doesn't like it.

Nursery is on board but tell us he rarely will sit on the toilet there. He will go in with the others and observe them. Just doesn't want to do it himself.

So we're in limbo!

The only way we can change his nappy is by standing him at the sink on a chair and letting him splash in water. Then he's so distracted we can do it.

So I would be perfectly happy to forget the toilet if only we could change his nappy without a screaming match or him getting soaked at the sink!

AreWeThereYet000 Wed 16-Aug-17 17:33:47

Forget the toilet just use a potty. My boy wouldn't go on the toilet it scared him but was happy to go to the potty. One upstairs and one downstairs, before you eat tea - let's try the potty, mummy's going for a wee on the toilet, you try the potty etc.

My boy (3) has no issues with using the loo now

Igottastartthinkingbee Wed 16-Aug-17 19:30:10

Don't force it. Use the potty if he's happy with that.

ImDoingLaundry Wed 16-Aug-17 20:55:42

Would he just wear normal underwear? Keep getting him used to the toilet by taking him with you etc.

Our boy was late toilet training, 3 years 9 months. He just wasn't ready before. What helped was taking him to the toilet with us, letting him watch, lots of books about pooing, YouTube videos about pooing, giving up pull up pants apart from bedtime, and a "special toilet seat" with a bar so his feet didn't dangle down. It was only £12 and seemed to help him feel more secure.

iamapixiebutnotaniceone Thu 17-Aug-17 23:25:14

My eldest had a very similar phase, she wouldn't go near a normal potty and was scared of the big toilet. We got her one of those toilet shaped pottys with the 'flusher' that makes a cheering noise. She chose the Minnie Mouse one, she took to it instantly!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 17-Aug-17 23:30:14

Put him in pants and leave him to it,no fuss, attention or begging him to cooperate. Lots of praise when he manages it and just quickly change him when he doesn't with minimum fuss.

Cutesbabasmummy Fri 18-Aug-17 13:27:35

Take the power back. He can do a wee and poo in the potty. He's nearly three. The reason he is guarded about his Willy is because he is starting to realise it's a private thing. Take off the nappies and have him bare bottomed. When you see him weeing put him on the potty and tell him that is where he does his wees aND poos. No nappies apart from a pull up at night. Then once he is doing wees on the potty you can move to trousers and no pants. We have done this for a month and today is the first day of pants and trousers. My son was like yours- hated nappy changes and it was like a wrestling match.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now