Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

High sleeper over cot bed.. Anyone done this??

(14 Posts)
MumNeedsTea Tue 11-Jul-17 09:01:55

Hi,

DS1 is 5 years old and DS2 is 7 months old. I have been co-sleeping with DS2, but now I need to move him to his brother's room. Unfortunately, the room is a tiny box room with no room for a cot and a single bed.

We were thinking of getting a high/mid sleeper for DS1 and putting the cot bed below it. Has anyone done this?

The box room has an actual box (which covers the stairs), so any high sleeper will have to be adapted to go over the box iyswim.

We are rubbish at DIY!! So do we get a normal high sleeper and then get a handyman to adapt it for the room or do we get one custom built (no idea what it would cost).

I am really hoping this arrangement works as it will last us for at least 3 more years before DS2 needs to move out of the cot bed, but we should hopefully get a loft extension by then and the boys can have a room each!

TIA smile

MumNeedsTea Tue 11-Jul-17 13:45:54

Bump smile

Her0utdoors Tue 11-Jul-17 13:54:17

www.strictlybedsandbunks.co.uk/2ft-6-small-single-memphis-2ft-6-small-single-heavy-duty-solid-pine-high-sleeper-bunk-bed-446 one of these?

MumNeedsTea Tue 11-Jul-17 20:03:46

Thanks for that link... It's exactly what I am looking for!
But what do I do about the box in the box room?? I will literally have to cut in half the 2 legs on one side of the bed to fit it over the box confused Is that even possible?

This is one of those times I really I knew some DIY!

thefutureisfemale Tue 11-Jul-17 20:05:47

Ask a local carpenter x

Mynd Tue 11-Jul-17 23:10:55

Yes I did it. Tiny 1 room flat in Glasgow when my eldest was little. I had a double high sleeper, and my DD slept in her cot underneath.

Her0utdoors Wed 12-Jul-17 05:32:38

Without seeing the room I wouldn't like to say exactly, but yes, shortening one or two legs to sit on the box then repositioning the horizontal pieces to keep it ridged. I'd also make sure it was well secured to the wall to stop it tipping. My feeling is it would be cheaper to find a carpenter/ handy person to modify this bed rather than have something constructed from scratch.

picklemepopcorn Wed 12-Jul-17 05:46:43

I had the cot under the high bed. Worked well. The legs of bed were entirely wood, so could easily have been cut down.

picklemepopcorn Wed 12-Jul-17 05:48:08

As long as there is space around the box for the cot!

Rolypolybabies Wed 12-Jul-17 07:59:06

Try this company. They make beds to special order surprisingly cheap.
www.pine-design.co.uk/

Her0utdoors Wed 12-Jul-17 10:06:51

Ooh, pine-design looks good! I'm a bit obsessed with bunk beds at the mo grin

RedSandYellowSand Wed 12-Jul-17 10:21:52

Mum just remember you will need the ladder on the long side, and not on the short ends like in the first link.

I don't know if you can get them as high sleepers, but you can also get "shorty" beds which are, err, shorter than standard beds. That might be an alternative to cutting kegs.

Is the box over the stairs sturdy enough to have two legs of a bed resting on it? It may need reinforcing.

MumNeedsTea Wed 12-Jul-17 14:24:28

Red, it may be easier to get shorty beds ... How do I even go about finding out if the box is sturdy enough?

MumNeedsTea Wed 12-Jul-17 16:39:14

Red, it may be easier to get shorty beds ... How do I even go about finding out if the box is sturdy enough?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now