Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Getting DD to drink more water! Any advice?

(9 Posts)
Mia5678 Sat 08-Jul-17 19:40:41

Hi,

My DD is nearly 14 months and hardly drinks any water. She has been given water in a beaker from 6 months and used to let me give her this - I've only ever used free flow beakers or a doidy cup! However, the last couple of months have been a real challenge as she no longer lets me give her water - turning her head any which way to avoid the beaker and will only give herself water very occasional. Therefore, she's starting to get constipated but is refusing water - she is still having around 300ml of milk each day.

Can anyone offer any advice on how to get her to drink more water?

loveulotslikejellytots Sat 08-Jul-17 19:43:55

Could you try different cups? Novelty ones? Dd has the munchkin 360 cup. But she loves Dh's sports bottle he uses for the gym grin I know it's not recommended for young children but what about a splash of juice or squash to make it taste of something? If she will drink very dilute squash surely that's better than not drinking at all?

loveulotslikejellytots Sat 08-Jul-17 19:45:13

Failing that how about watery foods? Soup for lunch, melon as a snack, ice lollies (home made if you didn't want her having too much sugar).

Timetogrowup2016 Sat 08-Jul-17 19:58:48

My dd will only drink no sugar dilute squash .
It's that or no water at all and I'd rather her have the squash than nothing .
She has a 360 cup and she will also take sips from my glass and she has a tommee tippee 12 months sports bottle

Writerwannabe83 Sat 08-Jul-17 20:44:13

Can't you just put in a tiny amount of sugar free squash? Have it so it's really diluted but at the same time strong enough that she can detect a hint of flavour?

I used to do this with my son and felt using a splash of squash to get him to drink water was preferable to him having no water at all.

Mia5678 Sat 08-Jul-17 21:19:08

Thanks for the replies. I did try a tiny bit of squash today but it didn't make a difference. I've bought the 360 cup and am going to buy the sports bottle to see if that makes any difference.

Thanks

M5tothesouthwest Sun 09-Jul-17 10:01:59

DS was the same (still is at 5 yrs). Just never gets thirsty so doesn't want water. Once he was perhaps 18months-2 years we could make a bit of a game (see if you can finish your water before I can count to 10) which helped a bit.

lightcola Sun 09-Jul-17 10:05:27

Maybe get yourself a sports bottle too so if she sees you drinking from it she may copy. It's frustrating I know. My son was the same but he soon grew out of it when he became more active and so became more thirsty.

EsmesBees Sun 09-Jul-17 10:14:13

My 2 year old is the same. I give one cup of diluted juice a day just so she'll definitely drink something. Agree with novelty value, adding ice cubes sometimes works, straws, a variety of cups. It's. Frustrating, but don't let it become a battle

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now