Talk

Advanced search

4th birthday party - should we serve lunch?

(13 Posts)
user1499018701 Sun 02-Jul-17 19:17:29

Hi, we have hired a church hall from 10-1 with an entertainer managing the children and the party from about 11-12. I was thinking of putting 10.30-12.30 on the invite and serving a light lunch at 12 before they go. My husband thinks we should end at 12 with a piece of cake and send them on their way. There will be a snack at about 11.30. What do you think would be easiest for the children and expected?

Dweet1259 Sun 02-Jul-17 19:19:59

I think everyone will definitely expect lunch to be provided.

Bhar78 Sun 02-Jul-17 20:36:21

I think a light lunch at 12pm would be ideal (a few sandwiches, crisps, chopped veg/fruit and a piece of birthday cake would be adequate).
Whatever you decide, I think you need to make it clear on the invitation if lunch will be served so parents can plan accordingly and there's no confusion.

Longji Sun 02-Jul-17 20:42:41

There's always food at parties in my experience. If we go to a party that's outside mealtimes I'd usually give a light lunch before we go as we've always been offered party food. It helps to break up the party too, I'd definitely serve food.

Wigeon Sun 02-Jul-17 20:45:54

I think there has been some kind of meal at every single party my DC have been to (and they are now 6 and 9, so have been to lots). Two kinds of sandwich, carrot and cucumber sticks, crisps, some kind of pudding, job done.

ceeveebee Sun 02-Jul-17 20:49:11

I'd drop the snack, do lunch at 12 and then have 1/2 hour or so of dancing or whatever after. Have been to about 25 parties in the last year (have twins in different reception classes) and every single one provided a proper sit down lunch or tea

ceeveebee Sun 02-Jul-17 20:50:04

I'd drop the snack, do lunch at 12 and then have 1/2 hour or so of dancing or whatever after. Have been to about 25 parties in the last year (have twins in different reception classes) and every single one provided a proper sit down lunch or tea

Thumbcat Sun 02-Jul-17 20:51:09

Drop the snack and do lunch.

TooStressyForMyOwnGood Sun 02-Jul-17 20:51:23

You need to serve lunch.

TheABC Sun 02-Jul-17 20:53:04

We have just done DS's party at home. If its over the lunch hour, you should provide food. We supplied hotdogs for kids, pizza for adults, ice cream cornets for afterwards. 10 blissful minutes of silence. (NB, you don't have to feed the parents, but it helps tide them over until they can get home).

SoftSheen Sun 02-Jul-17 20:54:21

You should definitely serve lunch, 4 year olds will be ravenous by 1 pm, especially after a 3 hour party! Parents and children will definitely expect it!

You can keep things fairly simple: cheese/ham sandwiches, crisps, mini sausages, cucumber and carrot sticks, fruit (grapes/strawberries/ blueberries) and birthday cake. Water or apple juice to drink. Jelly and ice-cream is traditional and popular if you can manage it.

SnowiestMountain Sun 02-Jul-17 21:02:08

Just in case we've not been clear, do lunch! grin

user1499018701 Mon 03-Jul-17 12:20:11

THanks everyone, my husband is now fully convinced that we need to serve lunch! Just FYI it will be a 2 hour party not 3!

This was my first Mumsnet post and was Sooooo helpful, thanks everyone again x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now