Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Kids time whilst separated..

(5 Posts)
user1498327787 Sat 24-Jun-17 19:30:07

Hi all,

I'm new to this but thought I would share my first thread with a problem I have with childcare..

So here we go..

I have been serrated from my partner for 5 months, we have two fantastic children and I would say our separation is amicable and the kids are dealing with it all very well.

This was until recently where my partner has asked that I have the kids more nights per week as it's unfair for them to have them so often.

So sounds reasonable I guess, however there are two sides to the story..here is the back ground

My partner works 9-5 Monday to Friday, I work 4/5 nights and 1 afternoon per week.

So I have the kids once per week and a few hours in the 2nd night off. I help with school runs when needed too and adjust my life to accommodate my partners meetings and any other event that comes up to help out.

The kids obviously live with my partner and not me.

I have asked that we rotate 1 or 2 night every other week so 1 week I have two nights and the other my partner has two nights away from the children.

Over the coming weeks I have a couple of meetings away and a weekend away.

This has resulted in me only being able to have the kids 1 night per week.

An example of this is I will be working 5 nights next week and have two days off during the week where the kids will be at school.

I'm lucky that I can move things around to help my partner out I just find it a little unsettling that it seems to be unappreciated at times...

So here is my question.......

Is it right that I have the kids both nights? Or am I being selfish for asking for at least one night to live a little and have them 1 night so my partner also gets to live a little too?

Or am I being pompous and selfish for wanting a night off if I only have two night a week to myself over the coming month...

Remember:

Our separation is still quiet early in its days and dating other people or introducing them to new people is still a little taboo and we have agreed to steer clear of introducing new people just yet (whole new topic I guess) but I would be nice to at least have time to try and meet someone or spend time with someone..

hmm

user1498327787 Sat 24-Jun-17 19:35:03

Few spelling errors lol, and I keep referring to my partner who is obviously my ex partner now...

Starlight2345 Sat 24-Jun-17 19:41:40

To be honest It think you need to be looking at another job if you are looking at a social life.

The separation is new for the children.

The saddest thing about this post is that is seems to be about how much time you both get away from the children rather than time with the children.

user1487854472 Sat 24-Jun-17 19:43:55

Personally I think you're being selfish. You usually have the children 1 night, meaning your ex has them 6 nights. Yet you can't give up one extra night?!

MyGastIsFlabbered Sat 24-Jun-17 22:04:29

I'd think very poorly of someone who gave up spending time with their children in order to date. Sorry.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: