Talk

Advanced search

Tips to stop baby boy peeing everywhere?!

(13 Posts)
Jooni Fri 23-Jun-17 12:52:47

Sorry if this is a bit of a silly question but is there anything you can do to avoid the pee fountain effect when changing a baby boy?

DS is 5 days old and it happens pretty much every time I change him! confused Obviously I didn't really have this problem with DD... am I missing a trick here? I've heard the one about opening the nappy, waiting a couple of seconds then closing, then waiting again before changing but it's not proving very effective!

NotCitrus Fri 23-Jun-17 13:24:02

Put a folded towel over when you open the nappy. Or a cloth nappy. It gets better as soon you'll know when they've peed and only then change the nappy.

NameChange30 Fri 23-Jun-17 13:30:20

DS did this at the beginning. I think it's something to do with the fresh air grin
We put him on a small towel on his changing mat and would fold it over or hold it in the stream of wee to catch most of it. We also use washable wipes and would drape one of those over his penis while cleaning his bum. You get pretty fast reflexes after the first few times grin
You obviously can't stop them doing it but in our case he did stop after a while.

NameChange30 Fri 23-Jun-17 13:32:16

Ah I've just remembered the time we took his nappy off at the doctors... he projectile pooed (narrowly missing the doctor's smart clothes) and then did a beautiful arc of wee which made a puddle on the carpet. Stressful at the time but makes me laugh now smile

OhTheRoses Fri 23-Jun-17 13:33:32

I just quickly got into the habit of having a wodge of cotton wool at the ready and after going through a full pack got DH to look out some old tea towels and face flannel but really anything will do: old socks, cut up old towel, etc. I don't think it happened for long.

n0rtherrn Fri 23-Jun-17 13:34:29

Get a bib/Muslin/burping cloth and pop it over the area when it is uncovered!

NuffSaidSam Fri 23-Jun-17 13:34:45

As pp said, just out something over his willy. Use whatever you're using to wipe him with i.e wipes/cotton wool.

strawberrypenguin Fri 23-Jun-17 13:39:18

You get used to spotting the signs that he's about to wee. I just flung a wipe on top! Still makes a huge mess but it's mostly contained on the changing mat!

Mymouthgetsmeintrouble Fri 23-Jun-17 13:40:01

Pop a muslin cloth or flannel there to catch it

Newjob12345 Fri 23-Jun-17 13:42:23

Ds1 did this every single time till he was 1!
I used to pull the nappy back, let the air hit and then hover nappy over his todger to catch the pee iykwim

Jooni Fri 23-Jun-17 14:37:23

Thank you everyone! Cover it - of course facepalm

Yet another use for the wonderful muslin square!

NameChange30 Fri 23-Jun-17 15:04:42

Are muslins absorbent enough? Ours seem a bit thin to contain a wee!

bookgirl1982 Fri 23-Jun-17 15:06:26

My nct teacher said to half open the nappy, let the air in which 'triggers' the wee, catch wee in nappy, then change.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now