Talk

Advanced search

Help! Persistent Head Lice!

(21 Posts)
Mum157 Thu 22-Jun-17 17:45:05

I need help!

I discovered head lice on my 6yo DD Saturday before last (nearly 2 weeks ago) and despite 5 hair treatments, the buggers are still there!

I've tried Lyclear (twice), conditioner and a Nitty Gritty comb (twice) and last night I tried Vamousse. But I found another bug this morning and then another this afternoon. There never seem to be loads of bugs, so it's not getting worse, but it's not improving either.

She's never had a problem with me washing her hair and has been super-patient so far when I'm checking her hair and then treating it, but her patience has run out. We had an awful episode last when I was trying to rinse the stuff out of her hair in the shower, involving me having to body-block her into the shower, while she screamed and I had continued to shower her.

What can I do?! They seem to be resisting every effort I make!

Help!!

Marzipants Thu 22-Jun-17 17:48:45

Are you leaving the stuff in long enough? For there to be bugs the eggs are not being killed by the treatment. We use Hedrin Once which is good if grim (makes their hair so greasy).

Also, have you checked everyone else in the house?

motheroreily Thu 22-Jun-17 17:53:58

I sympathise my daughter had them for about a month. I tried lyclear twice, using the nitty gritty every other night and using straighteners.

In the end I used hedrin 4% lotion. Used a nitty gritty while it was on and left it overnight. Then repeated it 7 days later. I did the same with my hair.

The hedrin 4% said you didn't need to comb but I did anyway. It makes the hair really greasy so combing was really easy. Lots of eggs and a few lice from my daughter's head and Found one live louse in my hair too!

Believeitornot Thu 22-Jun-17 17:54:57

Hedrin worked for us.

Plus nit combing every single day for two weeks.

papooshka Thu 22-Jun-17 17:55:24

We always just use thick cheap conditioner and the nitty gritty and do it everyday for about a week. Also put tea tree oil or lavender oil on your dd hair during the day at school as the nits hate it. Also put her hair up if its long (in a ponytail) and spray with hairspray as the nits can't attach to the hair then.

ASDismynormality Thu 22-Jun-17 18:00:39

Have you checked everyone else in the household, you may be reinfesting your DD,

Bhj Thu 22-Jun-17 18:11:45

I've had lots of experience with this and D.C.'s. ive never found any of the brought products to work. The only thing that works is conditioner with a nit comb every night for a week.

Wobblebeans Thu 22-Jun-17 18:13:34

DD2 caught them just after half term. We didn't actually use any treatment stuff, all we did was comb through her hair for about an hour each night, took about a week or so for her to be completely clear.
It's a pain in the arse but needs must

Mum157 Thu 22-Jun-17 18:31:52

Thanks all.

I'm leaving the treatment in for long enough and have treated myself too, although found nothing (both DD and I have long hair). I've checked DH and DS regularly and nothing (both have short hair).

Will do a nightly conditioner and combing session every night for a week and see where we are.

It's so bloody annoying and time-consuming!

Shootingstar2289 Thu 22-Jun-17 21:54:16

It sounds like she keeps getting re-interested by someone. If you have been treated maybe it's coming from someone at school? A close friend maybe?

A few years ago my DS now 6, around 3 at the time, kept getting headlice. I was combing him and myself every day which was hard work with a three year old but he kept getting them back. It was the Christmas holidays by this point so knew it wasn't necessarily nursery so I decided to check my younger sisters hair (around 10 and 7 they were) and they were riddled. My mum was useless with checking hair!

Head lice are a pain in the bum!

SpottyBrolly Fri 23-Jun-17 23:17:28

Comb, Comb and Comb again. It really is the best way to get rid. Comb every third day for two weeks after you've seen the last live lice.

Ojoj1974 Fri 23-Jun-17 23:25:45

Comb everyday until no lice or eggs can be found . Takes about a month!!

My DD has had reoccuring nits for 10 months. Finally got rid of them!!

TomHardysLeftFoot Fri 23-Jun-17 23:26:44

I swear by nitty gritty combing then hedrin once mousse. The lotion doesn't seem to work here but the mousse is fab.

I've had to do all four children this evening, DS1 had so many eggs 😷
Thankfully only one or two on the others.

I wash, then put conditioner on. Comb through with nitty gritty until I'm sure I've got everything I can find. Back in the bath to rinse off then dry. Hedrin mousse on when hair is dry and leave overnight. Rinse off in the morning - never had them recurr after that (only when they catch them again a few months later 🙄).

VioletBow Fri 23-Jun-17 23:27:22

My dd kept getting them last year, used the headrin mousse overnight a few times then started using Vosene 3 in 1 shampoo and leave in spray that is supposed to be a nit repellant and been nit free ever since.

GreenTulips Fri 23-Jun-17 23:30:53

The repellent is teatree oil - it's cheaper brought neat (£3 in chemist) and add to conditioner and throw a few drops on their hair in between washes - only smells until its dry

Heartoverheadhouse Fri 23-Jun-17 23:37:28

How big are the bugs? Tiny ones probably eggs hatching but a few big fat ones I'd say she's definitely being reinfested. Tie her hair in a bun for school for the next few weeks and use tea free oil to repel.
I swear by hedrin once and a nitty gritty comb.

Are you definitely following instructions and putting on dry hair? Hedrin once doesn't work at all with even slightly damp hair as I found out previously.

nachogazpacho Sat 24-Jun-17 07:30:39

Wash pillowcase and sheets too as eggs will be on them

nachogazpacho Sat 24-Jun-17 07:32:33

And put her hair in plaits as may be catching them from another child she plays with. This age is a bugger for it

ChinaRose Sat 24-Jun-17 07:39:40

The eggs cab take 7 days to hatch. So I'd comb meticulously for over a week. Try 14 days initially. Treat everyone in house. You night have missed them they are very easy to miss! For school her hair needs to go up and slathered. Also call the school so they can let parents know. Keep combing. It's the only guarantee of removing eggs and lice. Change bedding each day just incase there are any lingering about on pillowcases etc.

Squishedstrawberry4 Sat 24-Jun-17 07:42:44

Nitty gritty twice a week for the next month

LyndaPlatts Mon 10-Jul-17 17:53:40

Use an approved head lice repellent such as Gurkha Protec "Ed Lice". This is the only product approved as an insect repellent on the UK market. It is easy to use and safe for young children. Needs to be re-applied every 2 days but will prevent -re-infestation. Use only on hair which is clear of head lice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now