Talk

Advanced search

Babysitting safety... worried!!

(13 Posts)
jojomumstepmum Tue 20-Jun-17 17:44:59

Okay ladies, I need some advice.
On Saturday it is husbands work party (I am not really fussed about going at all, but apparently it's important!!)... this weekend is our "kids" weekend where we have both his kids and mine. (7 in total, ages... 15,13,11,9,6 and 2x3 year olds)... my husband thinks it's okay to let the oldest babysit everyone. I am not sure it's okay at all!!! I can't think of a solution, I could get a babysitter but then once the little ones were asleep then I have teenagers being babysat?? (The eldest child is my step daughter so not my own daughter)...

Please anyone have any ideas?? X

W1A Tue 20-Jun-17 17:50:06

If an emergency happened, I wouldn't want a 15yr old in charge of 6 other children.

Surely you just get a babysitter and explain that they are there to put the younger ones to bed and then be around in case they wake up, and ensure that the older ones go to bed?!

skyzumarubble Tue 20-Jun-17 17:52:44

I wouldn't go. I wouldn't want to be in charge of six kids never mind a 15 year old!

totorosfluffytummy Tue 20-Jun-17 18:10:49

A 15 year old can't or shouldn't look after 6 kids, especially the 3 youngest.
Get a babysitter x

NapQueen Tue 20-Jun-17 18:14:32

Get a babysitter for the 11yo and youngers. Tell the 15yo they arent being babysat but a babysitter is needed for the younger dcs. The 15yo can do what they want that eve

jojomumstepmum Tue 20-Jun-17 18:17:48

No I agree. I think part of me just doesn't want to leave them. Even with a babysitter, all my local ones are kids (well 18 but still babies) and 2 toddlers to put to bed (we would need to leave by 6 so can't get them to sleep), seems a huge amount for a babysitter to do??
I am talking myself out of this!!

I mean what babysitter would babysit 5 children??? I would need a pro wouldn't I?? Xx

thatwhichwecallarose Tue 20-Jun-17 18:20:41

Do any of the 18yo know the 15yo well. Could they work together (you may have to pay the 15yo a tenner or so)? Then once the little ones are asleep the 15 yo can do what she wants?!

W1A Tue 20-Jun-17 18:24:08

Use sitters? Lots of people on there and you used to be able to specific you wanted people with experience of over 3 children (or something like that

user1483387154 Tue 20-Jun-17 18:24:43

Thats a lot of children to have responsibility for at at 15. I would get a babysitter or perhaps ask a local college if any of the Nanny students would help out the 15 year old. (Paid ofc)

jojomumstepmum Tue 20-Jun-17 18:25:00

No, because it's my step daughter who doesn't live locally.

I don't often leave them, if ever unless with family (and all away), and have never had them ALL looked after. I have them every other weekend so if I want to do anything I have plenty of opportunity to do when the kids are with their dad. So it's just all daunting to me (probably silly of me)

KatyN Tue 20-Jun-17 18:28:11

Are the smaller ones in nursery? The staff at mine do babysitting on the side and are used to that kind of ratio!

Mehfruittea Tue 20-Jun-17 18:29:45

Do the 3 yr olds go to nursery? Perhaps someone from there would like to earn a bit on the side, plus it's someone they know. I did this with my then 2 yr old. It was a one off special occasion and all our family usual sitters we're going too.grin

NapQueen Tue 20-Jun-17 19:16:52

Swap weekends with the mother of the step kids or your kids dad so theres only half the kids?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now