Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

My 18 month old doesn't like milk

(15 Posts)
Solly79 Sun 18-Jun-17 16:55:12

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for me. My son doesn't like milk. He won't even eat his breakfast with it on. I do cook with milk as much as I can to get as much into him but I fear it's not enough. I've even tried milkshake. I give him abidec every morning. He has a good diet of fruit and veg but I worry about him not getting enough calcium.
Any advice welcomed

dementedpixie Sun 18-Jun-17 17:01:42

Does he eat cheese or yoghurt or ice cream, etc? They have the same nutrients so can be used as a substitute.

Joffmognum Sun 18-Jun-17 17:20:50

Nutritionally, he'll be fine, as long as he.otherwise has a good diet. Milk is a good source of fat, protein and vitamins and minerals, so as long as he those things from somewhere he'll be fine.

You can give him supplements if you're worried. Fruit and veg powers many vegans and vegetarians, your son will be fine.

Joffmognum Sun 18-Jun-17 17:23:35

The abidec is great, but it doesn't contain iron. This is because its given to young babies who can't handle iron supplements, it will give young babies diarrhea. Is he getting an iron source from somewhere? Most vegetables are a good source. Leafy greens are great.

Solly79 Sun 18-Jun-17 17:23:39

Thank you guys. You have reassured me. His diet is very good. He loves many foods and eats a lot. Your help and advice has been appreciated

Solly79 Sun 18-Jun-17 17:24:46

The abidec is the next one on 1-5years. He loves vegetables

user1474462227 Sun 18-Jun-17 17:26:03

My 12 month Ds didn't like cows milk since swapping from formula. I wouldn't worry. I give him lots of food with cheese sauce and cheese on toast every day for a mid morning snack. He's happy to have it his breakfast porridge smile
Just top your son up with vitamins.

Ratbagratty Sun 18-Jun-17 17:37:59

I had a milk refused too. We put it in lots of her meals, lots of cheese, yoghurt and green veges are advised for the missing nutrients. It was suggested to give her a break from obvious milk and then try again with ger cup a month later. She now has some milk.

NannyRed Sun 18-Jun-17 18:04:48

How about a pot of yogurt or fromage with breakfast, add a bit of cheese to vegetables with dinner. Don't stress.

ExplodedCloud Sun 18-Jun-17 18:08:01

Mine weren't milk drinkers but did have porridge made with milk. Lots of cheese and yoghurt too. They seem to be fine smile

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Sun 18-Jun-17 19:00:00

Tinned fish with the bones, like tinned salmon are good as they not only provide calcium but they also are a good source of protein and fat which LO will need too if they're not drinking milk.

Eeeeek2 Mon 19-Jun-17 10:13:10

What about trying oat milk

Heirhelp Mon 19-Jun-17 15:46:02

My DD is dairy intolerant but has hardly any milk. Under twos need 350mg if dairy a day and that can come from sources other than milk

Heirhelp Mon 19-Jun-17 15:46:19

350 of calcium a day

Cranb0rne Tue 20-Jun-17 09:10:08

I've never drunk milk and I turned out fine (I think!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now