Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Child screaming at bedtime

(9 Posts)
Littlepig8834 Thu 08-Jun-17 20:30:01

All of a sudden our DD is screaming when we put her to sleep. It's only started the past few nights and nothing we do seems to sedate her, we go in to give her a hug/goodnight kiss but the minute we leave she starts screaming.

She has been fine up to now, she's 2 in a couple of weeks and prior to this she's been a good sleeper and we've had no trouble in getting her to sleep. Her routine has stayed the same, bath, milk, story, bed.

Any advice on what we can do, listening to her cry is awful as it feels like we're deserting her.

NapQueen Thu 08-Jun-17 20:32:57

Teething? Maybe a dose of calpol 15mins before bed incase it is.

Littlepig8834 Thu 08-Jun-17 20:43:42

There are no other signs of teething so I'm not sure it's that. I've asked if anything hurts and she says no.

It's just how it's happened so suddenly, nothing else has changed so it could be teething.

Della1 Thu 08-Jun-17 20:56:10

Is she scared? My ds went through a similar thing at the same age but told me he was scared. You could try telling her that you are just going downstairs to do jobs but will be back in five mins. Return after a few mins, reassure that you are just downstairs but will check on her soon and repeat. If this is the reason she will probably not need you to do this for many nights. I think you just need to keep popping in but not necessarily staying in the room just so she knows you are there. I could be completely wrong though!

villainousbroodmare Thu 08-Jun-17 21:03:18

DS is exactly the same age and we are finding just the same as you. I think that talking through how we are going to go to bed soon, and when he lies down he must just relax and wiggle his toes etc may help. If I lean in for a kiss he clamps an arm fiercely around my neck and it's hard to escape without tears!

ViveLesVacances Thu 08-Jun-17 22:38:59

Agree with Della1. Tuck in and they say that Mummy is off for a wee, then come back in 5 min later, blow a kiss and head out again. It's just a stage, albeit a painful one at that!!

Whatsername17 Fri 09-Jun-17 19:19:03

Is her room dark? Would she benefit from a night light?

Littlepig8834 Fri 09-Jun-17 22:25:57

@Della1 I think you may be right, followed your advice tonight and whilst she still screamed it was less painful than last night.

We do have a night light in her room which we leave on, it's not overly bright so perhaps something a bit brighter may help.

Della1 Fri 09-Jun-17 22:39:11

Glad it was better tonight. Keep doing the same and she will get the idea that you are still nearby and there is nothing to worry about. My 2 year old sleeps with the light on (he insists) so maybe a brighter light would be a good idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now