Talk

Advanced search

Secondhand mattress for a toddler?

(11 Posts)
ANiceSliceOfCake Sun 04-Jun-17 21:23:14

I know the rules about always having a new matttess for babies, but what about toddlers? I've been looking at second hand toddler beds and some come with the mattress. I'd obviously check for stains etc, one was only a spare bed at granny's for example.

So, is the SIDS guidance for secondhand mattresses just for babies?

dementedpixie Sun 04-Jun-17 22:31:38

I reused dds mattress for ds as the cover was removable and washable. Don't know if I'd use a second hand mattress from another family though

Aquamarine1029 Mon 05-Jun-17 12:25:38

I would never, in a million years, bring a second hand mattress into my home. Possible mold, bed bugs, bacteria. No way.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Mon 05-Jun-17 12:38:08

I wouldn't.
Highly unlikely the toddler who previously slept on it has never once pooed or been sick on it.

UserThenLotsOfNumbers Mon 05-Jun-17 12:39:27

Not sure about mattress safety, but personally I wouldn't.

zen1 Mon 05-Jun-17 12:45:08

My friend gave me her cotbed and mattress for DS2 when he was about 2 and he'd kicked the bars out of his original cot. It was a mothercare airmax one with a top cover that unzipped for washing. I then used the mattress again for DS3. Washed the top cover many times and he was fine. I wouldn't use a secondhand Moses basket or crib mattress though.

Mrscog Mon 05-Jun-17 12:51:38

We didn't bother with a toddler bed but when I bought DS his single at 2.5 it was a second hand guest bed. The mattress was immaculate and the bed had been barely used so I went with it.

I'd look at the history, see it for yourself then decide and strongly consider going straight to a single bed if you have the space.

ANiceSliceOfCake Mon 05-Jun-17 21:49:35

I'm going for a toddler bed as I'm pregnant again, so in a couple of years we may go to bunk beds. That's why I've noticed a few toddler beds on local selling sites etc. Think I'll go with my gut and just get a new mattress. Just seems such a waste though doesn't it. We do sleep on mattresses that have potentially had alsorts on them in hotels don't we though.

Emma2803 Tue 06-Jun-17 20:53:01

Why don't you get a new mattress for new baby and put mattress that is already in cot on the toddler bed? If it's a cot bed you have at the minute they are generally the same size as a toddler bed (140x70)

neversleepagain Tue 06-Jun-17 22:12:08

We used hand mattresses for our then three year old twins. We knew the family it came from and they were in good condition.

ANiceSliceOfCake Wed 07-Jun-17 10:21:22

emma that's bloody brilliant! I didn't think of that. I was going to get a whole new mattress for the cotbed for the new baby.

I'll look into that then. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now