Talk

Advanced search

Is baby getting enough?? Combination feeding

(3 Posts)
Squizy Wed 31-May-17 13:16:41

Hiya

I'm totally new to breastfeeding so really don't know if what I'm doing is right.

Baby boy is 5 days old .. he is constantly on the boob .. as soon as I take him off he will cry and suck his hands ect and won't settle at all until he is back on ..I will feed him for half hour each breast .. this this settles him sometimes but the majority he will also take 2 ounces of formula after each feed. I don't think my breast milk is satisfying him at all. After his 2 ounces he is quite happy. He is also feeding on formula roughly every 3 hours and in between I think he uses me as a dummy ..

Midwife weighed him 2 days ago and he only lost a tiny amount after birth so seems perfectly fine .. but I'm wondering if that's because of the formula?? If I was to breastfeed alone I don't think he would get enough from me!!

Any advice appreciated xx

InDubiousBattle Wed 31-May-17 13:30:15

How much formula is he having? How often is he having it? At this age bf is just about getting your milk production going, it is very common for babies to feed very, very frequently. At 5 days my dd fed every hour. Do you want to continue bf?

SleepyHeadThisTime Wed 31-May-17 15:21:14

Your supply will be adjusting for the amount of formula you're giving him iyswim - he's feeding constantly to draw your milk in and increase your supply - if you're topping up with formula then your supply will increase less than if you just breastfed, which is fine if you want to combination feed.

Also because formula is taken in much quicker than breast milk they can drink more of it within a given period of time stretching their stomach and therefore increasing their appetite a little.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now