Talk

Advanced search

Finding it really hard

(4 Posts)
user1496230232 Wed 31-May-17 12:38:04

Hi I have a 5 yo dd. I'm finding it really hard not to get irritated by her behaviour and silliness and giggling and bouncing on the bed and sofa all the time. The high pitched giggles and screaming does my head in. I end up shouting which puts me in a bad mood all day every time. Does anyone else have this? 😞

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Wed 31-May-17 18:21:23

Better giggling than whining! Half term can drag sometimes, they seem to have tons of energy yet need more attention. Sometimes I'd say "Just a minute!" and silently scream into a pillow or cupboard. Or admit defeat and add to the noise switch some music on.

Remember when she was a toddler you probably distracted her when she kicked off, now you need to plan ahead. I used to find a pack of balloos or cheap bubbles used to keep mine happy and occupied for oh at least ten minutes. We'd make a den, indoors or out, keep her busy with a picnic.
Or get an old sheet, put it outdoors, give her some paint and tell her to paint a picture. Or pour some paint in a tray let her cover the soles of her bare feet and let her track it on the sheet. But no coming indoors unless you have washed her feet clean.
Has she learned to skip rope yet, could you show her?
If her classmates have gone away for half term can she burn off some energy at a park or can you take her swimming? Is there a river or canal you can walk along?

I am sure you love your DD to bits but some days you need a moan and a break. You're only human!

Btw I appreciate it must be a lot harder when families have DCs with complex needs all year round.

user1496230232 Sun 04-Jun-17 13:52:27

Ah thanks for your reply. I actually found out she was anxious about going back to school. Yes I'm keeping her more busy too it's seeming to work. We have a small puppy so I've been including her in the care of him too. Being a mum is hard it's usually good most of the time and yes very good to somewhere to moan, so glad I found this app where people understand. Xx

Beansprout30 Sun 04-Jun-17 20:58:31

Oh bless her I hope she's feeling better about going to school. My dd is only 10 months so got all this to come

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now