Talk

Advanced search

Useful gift for first time parent

(26 Posts)
aejc1 Tue 30-May-17 19:13:29

Apologies if this isn't in the right place. I'm a first time poster!

My best friend is having her first baby next month. She has all the basics she needs so I want to get her a useful gift that she wouldn't necessarily be able to get herself. I was going to get an Ewan the dream sheep but some one has beaten me to it. Can any of you recommend something that isn't classed as a essential but that really helped and made a difference to you?

Thank you

Orangedaisy Tue 30-May-17 19:17:43

Big freezer and a handheld cordless dyson. Not sure that's really what you mean but they have been the most useful things for me!

MrsBadger Tue 30-May-17 19:21:32

New dressing gown
Bodum dishwashable travel mug
Ergo (or similar soft buckled sling)

Loopytiles Tue 30-May-17 19:24:07

Contigo west loop coffee / hot drinks thermos mug.

Loopytiles Tue 30-May-17 19:25:10

Notebook or pad for making lists. Vouchers for food.

voobylooby Tue 30-May-17 19:26:44

What about a voucher to have baby's footprints done when born? Not useful but a lot of friends got one and liked it?

voobylooby Tue 30-May-17 19:27:24

Also for her a voucher for clothes?

HeyMicky Tue 30-May-17 19:27:48

Cleaner
Laundry service

voobylooby Tue 30-May-17 19:28:17

Or a graze subscription? She'll be in need of snacks. (Sorry didn't mean to make three posts!)

NapQueen Tue 30-May-17 19:28:19

Giant Aden&Anais muslin squares. A real luxury (imo). Can be used for swaddling, as a shade over the pram, as a comforter, as a blanket to put the baby on, and as my now 2 and 5yos use them ;- to make dens grin

NotCitrus Tue 30-May-17 19:30:43

Nice blanket.
COOK vouchers
Quality chocolate
Fold-flat storage boxes
Snot-sucking bulb
All-in-one waterproofs for 6 months upwards

Loopytiles Tue 30-May-17 19:34:29

Are you thinking a gift for the baby or for your friend?

grin @ snot sucker!

aejc1 Tue 30-May-17 21:57:09

I was thinking of something for the baby mainly and a little something for her. I've pledged lots of time, shopping runs, babysitting and cleaning which I figured would be most helpful to her at the moment.

SunEgg Tue 30-May-17 22:01:00

Someone gave me one of those baby towels that are shaped like an apron, I used it ALOT and was very handy!

Other than that, food, and a shoulder to cry and moan on.

LakeFlyPie Tue 30-May-17 22:04:30

One of the most useful things I was given when DC1 was born was a dimmer plug. Very boring practical but meant I could dim any bedside lamp (home or away) for the years of middle of the night bf that followed.

Aquamarine1029 Wed 31-May-17 13:58:42

Since she already has so much baby stuff, how about you make a gift basket with lovely little things for her, like lotion, soap, sweets, etc, and then a gift card from a nice store for the baby. That way she'll have the money to buy the baby some new clothes down the road when he or she has grown out of what she already has. And that happens VERY quickly!

SleepyHeadThisTime Wed 31-May-17 15:16:38

Cheeky wipes
Chocolate

LadyMonicaBaddingham Wed 31-May-17 15:18:45

A triangular nursing pillow. My DSIL gave money when DS1 was born and it was a real godsend.

BlueChampagne Fri 02-Jun-17 15:20:43

You sound like a super friend. The odd dinner (that can be eaten with one hand) would have been something I'd have appreciated. And a decent box set (or Netflix subscription) for all those nights in!

As for the baby, the hand print voucher is a good idea, or a classic book to enjoy together later in life (eg hardback editions of Hans Christian Andersen, Winnie the Pooh, Wind in the Willows etc).

VanellopeVonSchweetz99 Fri 02-Jun-17 15:27:34

A cot mobile from fisher price is roughly the same as the dream sheep. Our kids loved it from the start, it had a lot of visual interest and gentle melodies + star projection for the ceiling.
The nicest thing I got from a friend was a massive bunch of roses arranged in a 'hat box' basket - no need for a vase! I really appreciated that touch then.

WeAllHaveWings Fri 02-Jun-17 16:11:03

old fashioned soft towelling nappies, we had a pack of 12 and there were brilliant. Not as nappies but little towels to put on a cold changing mat, just lots of uses and because they are small didn't take much room in washing machine/dried quickly. Found them much more useful than muslins cloths.

A good cot mobile which is bright and has contrasts between white and deep bright colours, kept ds amused long enough to have a shower. Pastel mobiles look lovely but aren't very good at entertaining.

neonrainbow Fri 02-Jun-17 16:14:20

If she ends up formula feeding then a perfect prep machine. Can usually get them for £50-60. They're always on offer somewhere. Bloody amazing invention.

VanellopeVonSchweetz99 Fri 02-Jun-17 16:31:39

agree with WeAllHaveWings re. pretty vintage style pastel cot mobiles: They are obv much more aesthetically pleasing but useless for the baby's development. Our Fisher-Price one was a monster but brill, it had little discs to turn with high contrast black/white patterns as well as the more traditional apples etc - great for newborns to focus on. And when kids were older they sometimes sat in their cot playing/ pushing the music buttons for a bit in the morning.

GrubbyWindows Fri 02-Jun-17 17:42:56

My fave presents have included an actual cook delivery (not vouchers, food turning up), and a very thoughtful DVD of a fave TV programme. Still haven't watched it in full 5 years later, but it made me feel v looked after.
Also weaning crockery (nobody gives that and then you suddenly need it!). And a v cool teething necklace for me to wear (check out num nums on etsy).

mrsBeverleygoldberg Fri 02-Jun-17 17:44:53

A take away, bottle of wine and the night shift.grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now