Talk

Advanced search

Baby wakes up to much for night feed 8months old

(18 Posts)
user1486273640 Tue 30-May-17 15:16:57

My 8months old daughter is waking up from 3 times a night for milk? My her health visitor said I should stop her from eating at night ? How? Do I feed her more during the day? Do I just starve her at night? She wasn't clear at all

glitterglitters Tue 30-May-17 15:19:41

Are they bf or ff? There's a lot of things happening at this age (crawling, sitting, teething, weaning etc) so it could be her sleep is disrupted and she is using a feed to drift back off.

My dd was bf and would wake this frequently at this age. Some babies are just hungrier just like some adults are.

user1486273640 Tue 30-May-17 15:35:36

She is sitting and rolling during the day ? And she is bottle fed. I'm feeding her weetabix mash potato porridge carrot puréed and all other softs during the day and she has a couple bottles but at night she's just drinking drinking drinking

glitterglitters Tue 30-May-17 15:38:30

She could be thirsty or just generally hungry. I'm not sure how it works with bottle fed babies, but I just went with the flow and fed whenever at that point. Tiring but it didn't last long. She's probably processing all the new skills and things she's learnt in the day as well.

user1486273640 Tue 30-May-17 15:40:33

This is a new thing she was only waking up Once before now she's just wanting her milk

Newmanwannabe Tue 30-May-17 15:45:31

Babies livers start maturing around 8 months which allows them to process sugars better, after that they are more physiologically able to sleep through the night, Perhaps she is going through some sort of development stage as her body matures and has extra demands?

Or is she starting separation anxiety and waking up and wondering where you all have got to?

Unless she is over fed, gaining too much weight etc I would say go with it for a while as she might just need that bit extra comfort etc

user1486273640 Tue 30-May-17 17:21:18

Yeah thankyou for all the help x I really appreciate it

FartnissEverbeans Wed 31-May-17 17:14:14

A couple of bottles during the day isn't much I would have thought? I haven't done this before so I'm not sure but DS would definitely wake up a lot at night if he had only a couple of bottles. He's almost 8mo now and he has five bottles a day and a top up bottle at about 10pm. He has solids on top of that - usually some yoghurt, Weetabix, fruit purée and something for dinner (varies).

I found that weaning messed up his sleep a bit. He used to go 6-6 with no feeds but that's long gone now. The top up feed keeps him going so that's his only night feed at the moment.

I try to feed quite high calorie foods during the day too. He gets mashed/pureed veg and fruit but I try not to fill him up on that. someone on here said to give solids an hour after a bottle - that's not always possible but I do try to ale sure he's not ravenous when he gets solids.

Anditstartsagain Wed 31-May-17 19:06:06

My just turned 9 month old gets 3 bottled of 7oz a day and one during the night that i am phasing out 4oz water 2 scoops. With my first ds I got into the habit of feeding him a lot at night then we got stuck in a cycle it was awful this time i'm firmer. Babys at 8 months don't need fed at night and deffinetly not more than 1 bottle.

If you are worried about hunger try to water down thr bottles gradually so shes getting less and less at night which should make her eat more in the day.

user1486273640 Thu 01-Jun-17 00:57:03

Oh that great so I should water down her bottles so she eats more in the day and she drink around 2-3 bottles and solids during the day ?

arbrighton Thu 01-Jun-17 08:22:21

Your baby wants to feed at night. They do that. YOu've just been lucky so far. If you look around mumsnet, you'll see there is a sleep regression about this point, but frankly, you're expecting far too much.
And FFS, no, don't water down the bottles, that will just fill her with water not make her eat more.

What centile? What weight? HOw much milk in Oz/ Ml? Are you the poster asking about rusk in bottle elsewhere???

GreenGoblin0 Thu 01-Jun-17 09:48:30

if (according to your other thread ) your daughter is underweight to the extent they are talking about putting her on a drip (but have advised you to give her a rusk in a bottle instead !) why would you even think of watering down her bottles and why would the HV be advising you to stop night feeds?!

usernoidea Thu 01-Jun-17 10:02:05

Hi op
I recently went to feeding 2 bottles a night to none....wasn't as awful as I thought.
This is comfort, not hunger if you're on solids during the day
I just gave a bit of water for a couple of nights and settled in other ways.
So i now give him 6oz first thing and last thing, plus one After his main sleep of the day. In doing this his meals have increased in size massively! Plus maybe you could increase protein/carbs intake?

arbrighton Thu 01-Jun-17 13:35:19

@usernoidea

given op is talking in another thread about putting rusk in a bottle rather than having the child on a drip as they're underweight and only having a couple of bottles in the day at 8 months, when they are no way on enough solids to replace milk, I don't think saying it's comfort rather than hunger is necessarily true....

usernoidea Thu 01-Jun-17 20:16:19

I'm sorry I didn't realise there was another thread stating that the baby was underweight.
I'm just suggesting ideas so as the op can reduce the amount of times she has to get up through the night and that is to increase daytime calories.....
We will agree to disagree on the comfort thing at night!

Caterina99 Thu 01-Jun-17 20:34:26

When my DS was 8 months he was on 4 x 8oz bottles of formula a day. 7ish, 11ish, 3ish and 7ish. He also had solids in a combo of puree and finger foods but he didn't really eat a huge amount of food until we dropped a bottle and so at that age milk was his main source of nutrition.

I was led to believe that was a fairly normal amount for him to be consuming, and he was comfortably following 50th percentile for weight.

How many oz of formula is your baby having in 24 hours and are they underweight etc? That will make a difference. Puréed vegetables does not fill them up and they need milk

Anditstartsagain Thu 01-Jun-17 20:38:48

I've just seen that your baby is under weight so ignore my advice. I would suggest going to your gp or health visitor again for support and advice. I would also now advise to feed as much as she wants since she needs to gain weight.

Caterina99 Thu 01-Jun-17 20:43:01

I haven't seen the other thread - And I don't think rusks would help much with weight gain personally. if they are so worried about weight that they are suggesting drips for an 8 month old not eating much solids, then I'm very surprised they haven't told you to hugely increase milk consumption. Definitely keep the night time bottles if this is the case!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now