Talk

Advanced search

My baby is one next week and breastfeeds continuously any tips to wean off?

(10 Posts)
sammyjayneexx Tue 30-May-17 11:07:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AssassinatedBeauty Tue 30-May-17 11:12:49

Does he eat well and drink water from a sippy cup?

LapinR0se Tue 30-May-17 11:18:05

I would decide when you want to feed. First thing and bedtime for example. Outside of this I would offer cows milk in a sippy cup. If that's rejected then water is fine.
Now it's important that your baby gets good nutrition from food.

SleepWhatSleep1 Tue 30-May-17 11:23:01

Couple of questions: has he always fed like this or is it a fairly recent thing? Has anything happened recently?
Also, if you could cut it down to morning and evening feeds would you be happy to continue?

sammyjayneexx Tue 30-May-17 12:46:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LapinR0se Tue 30-May-17 12:58:33

He doesn't need you. It is a habit that needs to be broken if you want to get better sleep. You can either do that very slowly and gently or quickly with more tears.

AssassinatedBeauty Tue 30-May-17 13:07:13

It's totally natural that he needs you and is used to you being there at night. If it's something that you want to change then you can make gentle changes to move towards where you want to be.

If he's sleeping in with you then you could try wearing a sleep bra so he can't just feed all night unless you want him to. You could try giving him a feed and then comforting him in other ways if he remains unsettled. I think you should also leave him with your DP and let him find his own way of settling him.

SleepWhatSleep1 Tue 30-May-17 13:35:23

My 3 have always been like that but it's been worse from about 12-13 months - some sort of sleep regression. I also energy back to work but found the sleep deprivation very very hard.
Personally I think they do need it whether physically or emotionally a need is a need. But it also has to be balanced against your own needs and the rest of your family.
If you could night wean would that help? If so look up Dr jay Gordon night weaning

Aquamarine1029 Tue 30-May-17 16:06:54

Personally, I think you should go cold turkey. There will be some tears but he will quickly get over it and never remember a thing. Start giving him some whole milk in his cup and tell him no more nursing every time he asks. Wear a sport bra to bed if you have to. Give him lots of love and allow him to be upset, but don't give in. If you do, you'll just have to start the process all over again. Like another poster said, he doesn't NEED you to get him settled, he just knows he can get away with crying until you give in.

AssassinatedBeauty Tue 30-May-17 16:11:15

I don't think 11 month olds are that calculating that they know they can "get away" with crying until you "give in". They cry because they miss what they are used to, and what they expect. It's as simple as that. He's also far too little to understand a verbal response of no more nursing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now