Talk

Advanced search

5 month old EBF not pooed for 11 days

(11 Posts)
Starlight85 Mon 29-May-17 21:46:56

Hi,

My DD is EBF and is 5 months old tomorrow. For the last few months She usually only poos around once a week but it's now been 11 days (12 days tomorrow). Last time she did go it wasn't as big as they normally are. She isn't straining and doesn't seem to be in any discomfort. Is this amount of time ok? Not sure whether to ring and check with a Dr or HV tomorrow but I don't really want to give her anything as I don't think she is constipated.

PastysPrincess Mon 29-May-17 21:50:17

I'm no expert but that doesn't sound normal to me. I EBF my DS and he would have multiple dirty nappies every day. She may not be straining because it hasn't got that far yet?? Definitely go and see a doctor.

mctat Mon 29-May-17 21:51:53

Long gaps aren't abnormal but for that long I'd definitely go to the doctors.

SpongeCakeBigPants Mon 29-May-17 21:53:45

This can be totally normal but she also might be a little dehydrated, and therefore constipated, due to the warm weather.

Maybe give her some water between feeds or a very small amount of watered down fruit juice and see if she poos.

Starlight85 Mon 29-May-17 21:53:49

It can be normal for a EBF to go several times a day or once a week, I've never been worried when it's been a week.

Starlight85 Mon 29-May-17 21:54:58

In the hot weather she has been feeding a lot more maybe every hour or two during the day.

scrivette Mon 29-May-17 21:55:32

When this happened I was advised by the Health Visitor to give a few spoonfuls of pure orange juice if cooled boiled water didn't work (it did).

d270r0 Mon 29-May-17 21:57:46

My first once didn't go for up to 2 weeks when EBF. He regularly didn't go for a week or more. Apparently this is normal for some breastfed babies. My ds used to get gas pains and tummyache when it had been a long time though.
Watch out when it does come (probably when you're feeding) as it'll be a huge explosion grin

ToneDeafHamster Mon 29-May-17 22:00:02

My DD didn't poo for 14 days once. I went to the docs and they gave me laxative, but she pooed the same day, so I have never used it.

scoobyloobyloo Mon 29-May-17 22:03:16

DD went 17 days once. Apparently we are used as an example in home visitor training. Very proud. She was fine though we had an appointment booked for the paediatrician the next day.

The eventual poo was incredible!

Marley45 Mon 29-May-17 22:16:46

I was told to drink pineapple juice when my baby hadn't been for a week

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now