Talk

Advanced search

10 month old not interested in solids

(9 Posts)
Beansprout30 Mon 29-May-17 10:13:56

Just that really, she still prefers milks and mealtimes are a bit of a waste of time. She won't take a spoon so we use the BLW approach. She will usually eat breakfast but not enough to fill her.

I've tried offering milk before meals and also after and it doesn't make any difference.

Should I be concerned at the moment? I hear about all these big eaters at 7/8 months and worry my lg is not getting what she needs even though milk is supposed to be their main source of nutrition till one?

When did your baby start to 'get' it?

mrstomriddle Mon 29-May-17 10:23:53

I wouldn't be worried. My dc3 is 13 months and was really slow to get interested in food. He is better now but still has days when he just isn't interested. He doesn't really eat much lunch but does like a bowl of porridge for breakfast and generally eats well at dinner time and will always take a yoghurt. He has always been a chubby baby, despite not being so interested in food.

The advice now is food before 1 is just for fun, they still need the milk more than food. As long as she is gaining weight and is happy, I wouldn't worry. Keep trying different things at different times.

My older 2 dc were more interested in food and were bigger eaters.

If you're worried, ring your health visitor and they can reassure you.

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Mon 29-May-17 12:14:19

Another one saying don't worry. She'll get it in time. What they actually need to eat is tiny, think the palm of her hand for a portion. Just keep putting the food in front of her when you eat and she'll get it eventually.

You don't say if she's bf or ff. Either way, once she's one you can start offering more milk after food. If she's ff you could try offering her a cup of milk and a snack instead of one of bottles.

Have you found the MN Weaning Talk yet too? smile

Beansprout30 Mon 29-May-17 19:37:43

Thank you both, she was exclusively breastfed till six months but now she's on formula with a couple of night breastfeeds.

I will check out the weaning board

mimiholls Mon 29-May-17 19:52:51

I don't think it's a problem as long as you are continuing to offer her meals regularly and a variety of foods. I would certainly make sure you're doing food before milk so that she is definitely hungry and then do milk after to make sure she's had enough. If you keep going she'll get there.

MissShittyBennet Tue 30-May-17 12:00:11

Sorry, but the advice now is not that food before one is just for one. There's no official body saying that. It's a slogan that seems to have got a lot of traction but nobody seems to know where it came from or be able to identify any science behind it.

There's an article here with some more discussion on the topic:

breastfeedingwithoutbs.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/bullshitometer-food-before-one-is-just.html

Milk is still supposed to be the main source of nutrition before one, but not the only source.

With that said, she's eating one meal a day. Well that's a start. She has some interest at least. That's something to build on, and the amount of solids she gets from that may well be sufficient. They need some, but not necessarily a lot. I think you just have to keep plugging away. What sort of things are you offering? When I had a spoon refuser we used a mixture of finger foods and letting her spoon feed herself mush.

Beansprout30 Tue 30-May-17 20:19:57

I offer her quite a variety, fruit, toast, cereals etc for brekkie, lunch normally a wrap and more fruit and dinner, whatever I'm having usually. She apparently eats really well at nursery, she's there twice a week

MissShittyBennet Tue 30-May-17 20:33:19

She is probably getting quite a bit of solid food down her then. Seven breakfasts a week, two lunches at nursery, maybe two teas there also?

Beansprout30 Tue 30-May-17 21:56:09

I guess when you put it like that she is, maybe I'm worrying over nothing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now