Talk

Advanced search

When is it too cold to enjoy the beach with toddlers?

(23 Posts)
2littlemoos Mon 29-May-17 09:58:14

Thinking of ideas for my friend and I to do over half term as toddler groups aren't on and nor is nursery. DC are 10m, 2yrs and 4yrs.

Both love trains and the beach is a 2hr journey (with a couple of changes) by train. Weather for next week is looking to be 16/17 degrees. Obviously not swimming suit weather but could it still be a fun day out or is it not worth the journey?

There's a nice cafe to stop at for warm drinks and as long as we dress in jumpers they should be fine?! Okay to paddle feet in the sea and bucket and spade weather?

Toomanycats99 Mon 29-May-17 10:01:49

We have friends near the coast and went to see them October half term. We went to the beach and had a great day. We played games ran around - a completely different experience to a summer trip there and just as good.

NannyR Mon 29-May-17 10:04:34

It will be a great day out, like you said, you'll need warm jumpers and raincoat but they will have a great time. Going to the beach in the rain is an essential part of the Great British childhood!!!
Make sure you have a complete change of warm, dry clothes for everyone for when you come off the beach, even if it's not that cold, toddlers can get cold and miserable really quickly in damp clothes.

ineedamoreadultieradult Mon 29-May-17 10:07:20

I live by the sea in the North East it's never too cold if you wear the right clothes. Main thing is to wear a hat because the wind in your ears can be awful and try to stay dry or have a spare change of clothes/towels/blankets in the car. We are going down later for rockpooling followed by fish and chips. We have coats, wellies and umbrellas as it's pouring down.

LuluLovesFruitcakes Mon 29-May-17 10:09:46

I grew up in a seaside/fishing town, it's never too cold for the beach wink

Wrap them up, wind proof clothes, spare clothes and towels and they'll be fine.

2littlemoos Mon 29-May-17 10:14:17

Amazing! Thank you. DP only likes to go in the summer rolls eyes but my friend should love this idea! Thanks all

haggisaggis Mon 29-May-17 10:18:27

We took ds to the beach (north Scotland in June) for his first holiday when he was around 6 months. We have photos of him wearing full rain suit plus hat and gloves - but we still had fun! 16 or 17 deg is plenty warm enough for the beach - maybe not in swimsuits but certainly warm enough for sandcastles and paddling as long as you have towels and spare clothes.

TittyGolightly Mon 29-May-17 10:19:15

We go to the beach on Xmas day, so it's never too cold to go to the beach!

isthistoonosy Mon 29-May-17 10:22:13

It was 15 and a little windy here yesterday (we are near water but not the sea) and our 2 and 3 yr old were running around naked, paddling, begging for ice cream etc.

Swatsup Mon 29-May-17 10:22:31

Just remember to take towels, swimsuits and spare clothes whatever the weather as mine always want to go in the water even if it's freezing.

2littlemoos Mon 29-May-17 11:16:19

This is so reassuring, thanks for the responses! Excited now!

KatyN Mon 29-May-17 13:04:37

My top tip for small people on the beach is to hide some copper coins in the same. The smalls believe it is actual gold.
I was so smug when I discovered this!

specialsubject Mon 29-May-17 13:09:42

It is summer. Dont forget layers of suncream regardless of cloud.

Swatsup Mon 29-May-17 14:00:34

My top tip for small people on the beach is to hide some copper coins in the same. The smalls believe it is actual gold.

I did this with fossils bought from the shop, £5 well spent as they kept hunting for more fossils all holiday!

TittyGolightly Mon 29-May-17 16:05:41

It is summer. Dont forget layers of suncream regardless of cloud.

Surely that's why we're now seeing cases of rickets.

specialsubject Mon 29-May-17 18:06:42

Or you could just fry them. Peak UV in three weeks. Sorry, I know mn only thinks suncream is needed when it is hot but I listened at school.

Presumably the op is giving out the vit d tabs as recommended.

TittyGolightly Mon 29-May-17 21:53:58

Why on earth would you assume that the OP is giving vit D tablets?

TittyGolightly Mon 29-May-17 21:55:18

The 2 extremes aren't actually the only options. There's a middle ground between "frying them" and smothering them in the modern equivalent of liquid lead.

Caterina99 Tue 30-May-17 03:30:30

Toddler DS loves the beach in all weathers. Definitely bring a few changes of warm clothes and towels though. They always end up getting wet!

Orangedaisy Tue 30-May-17 03:48:30

We find puddle suit good for DD when it's not warm enough for her sun suit. Keeps the sand from getting in her clothes, particularly when she insists on being buried or sits down to make sand castles. We go to the beach all year with no issues, just avoid if it's really windy really-a strong wind (hot or cold) can make it really unpleasant with little ones.

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 30-May-17 04:04:58

I live in Canada and we go in December. DD is in the water until October. Blue-lidded weirdo!

2littlemoos Tue 30-May-17 13:33:43

Yes I was thinking puddle suit too!

liquidrevolution Tue 30-May-17 15:19:25

I built sandcastles in the snow sleet at Cromer earlier this year with DD.

T'was fine grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now