Talk

Advanced search

Baby hates car journeys...

(14 Posts)
Rarotonga Sat 27-May-17 21:54:24

Does anybody have any experience or tips to help? He is frequently inconsolable when put in the car seat and on journeys. When he was younger he just immediately fell asleep but since about 4 weeks old things have changed. He is 12 weeks now.
I sing to him and talk to him or play music, but it doesn't seem to make any difference, he screams blue murder and gets himself really hot and bothered.
I try to make sure he isn't hungry or overtired. We don't go on any particularly long journeys - 45 mins max, often much shorter. I feel silly for saying this but I'm often avoiding going anywhere because I can't stand how upset he gets.
Any tips gratefully received.

Eveninties Sat 27-May-17 21:57:01

Is his seat too tight or uncomfortable? Does he cry if you bring the car seat into the house and sit him in it?

LuckyinOctober Sat 27-May-17 22:08:01

My baby is 15 weeks old and is just coming out of a car objecting phase like that, I'm not sure if it's what I'm doing or just a developmental thing that's helped her cope better now. I find she struggles with sitting in traffic so pick motorway routes where possible as she can sleep through if not disturbed by stopping and starting. I also start singing whenever I anticipate stopping if she's awake to prevent crying starting. I also attach soft textured toys with clips to her car seat which she plays with if she's awake. I use sun shields on the car windows to protect her eyes and wind the window opposite her as well as my window down on hot days to ventilate the car. I also make sure she's fed recently, burped and wears a clean nappy before getting in the car. I also give her at least 15 mins after a feed before getting in the car as otherwise car seat positions can cause indigestion for babies. You might already do all that but thought I'd share in case helpful and will also watch the thread for any other suggestions :-)

Mamabear12 Sun 28-May-17 08:05:59

Perhaps he feels carsick? Like maybe during the longer rides he wasn't feeling well, so he associates car with not feeling well? My first born also hated car rides as baby and would scream to the point we had to pull over and I'd pull her out and breast feed her to calm her. When she got older, she would complain of feeling car sick. Opening the windows helps this. She has never actually been sick int he car, but has felt it. She now says she needs air in the car and windows down or she feel like she will throw up.

Rarotonga Sun 28-May-17 08:10:18

Even He will sit in it happily until strapped in. He is almost at the height at which we can remove the newborn inlay which will give him more room, 1cm away. I've read that there is a summer cover for the carest seat which makes the material more breathable so will nip to Halfords to get one of those today.Thank you for your post.

Lucky Thank you also for posting, lot's of ideas there and some of which I hadn't tried, so will give them a go. Thank you!

Rarotonga Sun 28-May-17 08:10:52

lots*

teaandbiscuitsforme Sun 28-May-17 08:17:18

Do you have a mirror so he can start to see himself, and eventually you?

Sweetpotatoaddict Sun 28-May-17 08:20:39

Mine was like that around the same age, it was a bit like living a baby crying version of Speed. As soon as my speed dipped below 50 mph she screamed, speed up again and she stopped.
She's grown out of it now, just closes her eyes and goes off to sleep. I'm sure it'll improve op.

CatsCatsCats11 Sun 28-May-17 08:37:50

My DD was the same for a couple of months around that age. She's now almost 5 months and seems to be fine again. It's horrendous but it did pass for us.

furryelephant Sun 28-May-17 09:02:52

My DD hates the car too! So much so that I just would not drive anywhere (meaning we went nowhere except the village I live in blush). She gradually stopped after about 2 months (so was about 4.5 months when she became generally okay!), we played upbeat music and gave her a dummy and a muslin to hold, and put a mirror on the headrest so she could look around. Also taking the newborn headrest type thing out of the car seat helped too, I think she was a bit squashed! Sympathies as it is so horrible, I used to cry when she was at her worst screaming sad

allthegoodnamesalreadytaken Sun 28-May-17 09:36:05

baby tv on the ipad mounted

user1495975814 Sun 28-May-17 14:01:39

I know exactly how you feel! All I can say is as time goes by it gets better. For now keep to short car rides, and you'll see how he get used to it as he get older. Pacifier doesn't help?

Rarotonga Sun 28-May-17 20:21:14

Thank you so much for your responses and for sharing experiences, feeling reassured that he may grow out of this eventually! Pacifier is usually spat out but today he has accepted it, yay! He had quite a significant posterior tongue tie so I wasn't able to introduce a Pacifier until recently, when feeding was much improved, and he hasn't taken to it that well previously. We had a journey today and he only screamed for half of it with help of a Pacifier and a new toy!
Will keep trying different strategies.

Thanks again smile

Aliveinwanderland Sun 28-May-17 20:22:43

My DS was the same but it gradually got better. I used to have to pull over every 5 minutes to put his dummy back in and he would scream and scream. Now he is 7 months and able to look at a toy and so isn't so bad.

Hang in there, it will get better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now