Talk

Advanced search

How to cool a bedroom

(19 Posts)
Littlepig8834 Wed 24-May-17 21:13:16

Gro Egg is reading 22.6 degrees. Any idea how I can cool my DD (23m) room down? The window is open, as is her door but the temp doesn't seem to be dropping.

She's in a vest in a 1 tog sleeping bag (she won't sleep unless she's in a sleeping bag)

She doesn't feel too hot, but I am worried about her getting too hot in the night.

Any tips for cooling a room??

KatharinaRosalie Wed 24-May-17 21:22:31

Get rid of the Gro Egg and don't worry about it is probably the best solution.
Honestly she will be fine. She's not a newborn, she's almost 2 and the worst that can happen is that she might get a bit sweaty if it's hot. The room won't get any hotter during the night so you really have nothing to worry about if she's fine now.

MrsBadger Wed 24-May-17 21:24:12

Ditto, don't worry. Maybe tomorrow make sure the curtains are drawn for any time the sun shines in during the day so it hasn't got so far to cool down at night.

kel1493 Wed 24-May-17 21:26:49

I agree with the pp about closing curtains or blinds during the day. The sun shines right in my son's bedroom during the afternoon so I closed the curtains today to stop it shining in.
Our monitor says 24. Ds is in a vest, quilt isn't over him. Not sure way more we can do.

MoominFlaps Wed 24-May-17 21:28:54

That's not particularly hot - my 14mos room is 27c tonight (in London).

It's usually between 21 and 22.

Ecureuil Wed 24-May-17 21:29:05

DD2 is 22 months and it's bloody boiling in her room, no idea of the actual temp though as we stopped using the gro egg at about 12 months when she started sharing with her sister.
She'll be fine, she's not a tiny baby. She'll probably wake up and whinge if she's too hot!

CanIGoToBedNow Wed 24-May-17 21:29:54

Lordy - my DDs room is about 26 and she's in a 2.5 tog bag and short sleeved jammies.

We have a south facing house that's super warm and She's used to being warm... there's no temp on the top room which currently has my boy in... but I have the fan going hoping to just move the air about 😳

Astro55 Wed 24-May-17 21:31:04

Open the loft hatch to let the heat into the loyt and cold loft air down into the house

voobylooby Wed 24-May-17 21:31:21

The packet of my 1 tog sleeping bag says up to 24 degrees is fine with short sleeved bodysuit.

ThinkOfAWittyNameLater Wed 24-May-17 21:31:45

If you're really worried take off the vest. So just nappy & sleeping bag.

Intransige Wed 24-May-17 21:32:09

Get a fan and point it with its back to the window so it pulls cooler air from outside into the room. If it's really stinking hot you can also hang a bag of ice in front of it.

And yes, ditch the gro egg for a two year old, it will only make you worry for no reason.

LapinR0se Wed 24-May-17 21:33:28

That temperature and bedding combo sounds absolutely fine.
If the room goes over 25 then you can just do nappy and sleeping bag

minipie Wed 24-May-17 21:33:31

She'll be fine. It will cool down quickly once it gets dark.

Tomorrow leave her curtains fully shut all day, window ajar

happyhebe Wed 24-May-17 21:34:07

Fill the bath with cold water and then the evaporating water cools the air, though obviously you would only do this if you are 100% certain it is safe for you and your family. We do it but mine are all teenagers.

Littlepig8834 Wed 24-May-17 22:42:56

Thanks all, as you could probably tell she is our first so we perhaps have slight PFB attitudes!

She has since asked to take off the sleeping bag, which is a first so I'm worrying a little less.

Good idea about the curtains being closed in the day, I didn't think of that.

Cutesbabasmummy Thu 25-May-17 16:57:57

MY DS (2) room last night was 28 degrees. His room faces south. It was still 27 this morning. Just remember that there are kids who live in hot countries and they survive. Ive shut his curtains today to try to keep the sun out x

rizlett Thu 25-May-17 17:05:01

Keep the windows closed as well as the curtains (sounds like madness, I know, but it keeps the heat outside so the room remains cooler throughout the day) , open the windows only when its cooler outside than inside.

RubyWinterstorm Thu 25-May-17 17:07:34

it is sweet and PFB

My babies were born in a tropical country, in a flat with no airco. They were fine sleeping in a room of 25-30 degrees

I did buy a ceiling fan. That really helped, getting air to circulate.

Also, they slept without sleepingbag grin

But if you are in the UK, it probably isn't necessary to get a fan. Personally I prefer them to Airco.

I miss my ceiling fans...

SafeToCross Thu 25-May-17 17:36:51

Loft hatch open all night really helps

(--until you have a lovely loft conversion and can't achieve this any more and opening the windows up there does not have the same effect--)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now