Talk

Advanced search

Does breastfeeding hurt when baby is teething?

(12 Posts)
NewMum17 Wed 24-May-17 21:09:16

So since yesterday breastfeeding has felt different...and painful. Not for each feed though.

I think I may have noticed teeth buds but not sure exactly what to look out for.

Can teething make breastfeeding more painful? And how do you feed when they actually get the teeth? My DS is almost 4 months so still have another 2 months of planned exclusive breastfeeding. Any tips?

Isadora2007 Wed 24-May-17 21:12:41

Any chance you could have thrush? Are your nipples shiny or itchy? Has baby got white patches on her tongue.
My nipples weren't ever affected by teeth as they have their tongue between boob and teeth anyway so Ive fed several toddlers with a full
Set of gnashers.
But thrush has felt nippy and tender...

desperatelyseekingcaffeine Wed 24-May-17 21:12:58

It did for me with my second. Was awful for a few days like you not every feed though. Settled down after that. Teeth in general not a problem but my second was a biter from time to time.

indaba Wed 24-May-17 21:16:08

BF 3dc. Teeth didn't impact other than occasional nip. Could you be getting mastitis?

AppleMagic Wed 24-May-17 21:17:50

Yes to teething.

However I've found with all of mine that their latch could get a bit lazy as they got to about 4 months.

Also, could be your hormone cycle making things more sensitive.

GrainOfSalt Wed 24-May-17 21:18:50

I fed DS for ages (years and years in fact) after he developed a full set of teeth - no problems (although he did nip me a couple of times - each time I just ended the feed there and then and then fed him as normal the next time).

As Isadora says teeth never bothered me either but I too got thush - that was horrid sad

PerpetualStudent Wed 24-May-17 21:21:10

I had a few ouchie days as each front tooth came through and DS adjusted his latch accordingly, but after that it was fine - finally stopped feeding just before his 2nd birthday!
So if it is teeth, it should settle down soon

SleepWhatSleep1 Wed 24-May-17 21:21:21

Bf 3 DC. When cutting anew tooth I always found the latch a little uncomfortable - all of my children. But it would soon settle down until the next tooth. Also I used to get sore just before they came down with a cold! Something in their saliva would change I think.

SleepWhatSleep1 Wed 24-May-17 21:22:57

Oh just thought. One thing that always made a feed painful was if I had a blocked duct or bleb - would feel like a needle! Might be that if it's just one side?

oatybiscuits Wed 24-May-17 21:24:25

Yes, often babies won't latch as well during and for a few days after a tooth comes through and then they get used to things being different and it's ok smile

NewMum17 Wed 24-May-17 21:24:49

Don't seem to have any of the symptoms you mentioned Isadora2007.
I'll keep a look out indaba but I don't feel tender or sore usually. Just when he feeds I feel it sometimes, particularly at the start.
That's interesting about the colds Sleepwhatsleep1!! Oh yes a blocked duct, but it feels different to when I last had that. Hmm I'll keep a look out for that too. Can't remember now if it's just one side..

ProfPlumInTheLibrary Wed 24-May-17 21:26:15

Every time dd was teething it hurt me, and she also used my breasts as teething rings a few times!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now