Talk

Advanced search

How can I get DS(10) to LISTEN?!

(5 Posts)
Beachturtle Wed 24-May-17 20:25:32

DS does a couple of extra curricular activities each week. One is with me and one I stay and watch. I noticed in the one we do together that he is simply not listening to what the instructor is saying, finding something fascinating to fiddle with instead. I asked him three times yesterday to listen to what was being said. The teacher in his other activity actually came over to me today to ask if there was a problem as DS's attention seemed to be elsewhere.

DS was diagnosed as borderline ASD last year. He sometimes seems to be in his own world but often takes in more than I would give him credit for given the fiddling and wandering eyes (he finds it hard to keep his gaze focussed on the person talking to him).

Any tactics I can use, or places I can look for help on this please? School haven't reported anything but I know he gets easily distracted by his peers. Just telling him to listen doesn't work!

Aquamarine1029 Wed 24-May-17 21:24:08

How is his diet? Does he eat/drink too much sugar?

Beachturtle Wed 24-May-17 22:15:59

Thanks for replying! He could eat more healthily but he doesn't eat tons of junk. He had a tuna sandwich before today's lesson and a cup of tea and a piece of cake before yesterday's. both are physical activities.

Beachturtle Thu 25-May-17 13:38:32

bump

catsatonthemat Thu 25-May-17 20:45:34

Is he interested in being there? Is he too tired to concentrate?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now