Talk

Advanced search

What are the best swimming/aids flotation devices for babies?

(10 Posts)
MummyGirks Mon 22-May-17 16:22:49

Hi all wondering if anyone has some advice for me!

I have a soon to be 14month old girl and she is great in the water. She currently has one of those rubber ring thingys with the seat support but we are going to my parents in the south of France next month and on a family holiday to Sardinia in September and I was wondering what people would recommend for her to use other than the ring? I was hoping for something to give her a little more independence when we are in the pool with her, of course we would never ever leave her or not watch her but I think she would like to paddle and splash a little more and we can't play with her much in the ring all the time (they are quite large and she can't reach the water). She has also tipped herself out of the ring once before! I have seen the vests and I know there's arm bands but she's quite a petit baby so not sure what's best for this summer for her age range???

Any advice welcome!!

Eeeeek2 Mon 22-May-17 20:44:23

www.splashabout.com/swimming/kids-swimming-aids/float-jacket/

Mine isn't old enough yet but friend has one of these for her son. Your little one might be too small if she is on the petite side but maybe worth a try at home before your holiday as she'll fit it soon if not now.

Eeeeek2 Mon 22-May-17 20:47:02

Or this

www.splashabout.com/swimming/kids-swimming-aids/floatsuit/

that took me back, I had one of these when I was little but plain blue

Swimming teachers don't recommend arm bands

Queenofthedrivensnow Mon 22-May-17 20:48:53

None is my advice. Just lots of patience and supervision but maybe a float. We did water babies they only use a float and toys. Dd1 was swimming lengths at 2

Alanna1 Mon 22-May-17 20:54:55

We use (1) swim jackets if we're in open water or the ratio is not 1:1 and (2) noodles or nothing - and close parental attention! - when in indoor waters in which they can stand.

reallyanotherone Mon 22-May-17 21:05:17

None. They need to learn their limitations in water, as long as you are in arms reach she is far safer than in any sort of flotation device.

For fun and splashing about teach her to hold a pool noodle.

CountryCaterpillar Mon 22-May-17 21:09:48

Swimming teachers here use swim discs so we've used those when we haven't wanted to be holding them the entire time (we tended to do a mix, supported by us /woggle/swim discs.) swim discs give a bit more independence when they can't yet swim.

MummyGirks Tue 23-May-17 10:34:57

Thanks so much for the advice! We did a water babies course when she was 6months old and we feel pretty confident in the water with her and she's really good so will probably spend most of the time just with nothing. I like the look of the swim vests but think she will be a bit small. I could swim a length alone by the time I was 3 and want her to be really water confident as well so hopefully plenty of water fun this summer will help!

skyzumarubble Tue 23-May-17 18:10:08

None was the advice we were given too - those flotation jackets not only look uncomfortable but there is a risk that if they tip forward they can't right themselves. We used nothing and just watched like hawks in the splash pool / very shallow end.

Allthebestnamesareused Tue 23-May-17 18:12:39

It really is best to use none and just hold her under her arms. This allows you to tilt her to the right angle to "swim" and you will be amazed at how quickly even a very small toddler will learn to swim if they are not reliant on devices.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now