Talk

Advanced search

20 month age gap - double buggy recommendations

(17 Posts)
triangularchocolate Sun 21-May-17 19:51:50

I've recently found out I'm expecting DC2 slightly earlier than planned and there will be a 20 month age gap between DS1 and DC2. It's still early days but in the hope of being organised I've started looking at things we might need. I initially thought I'd manage with our current travel system and a buggy board but DS1 isn't even walking yet (currently 13 months) and I have accepted that I probably need a double buggy. Other threads on here have recommended very expensive side by side buggies, but I don't think they would fit through our doors so looking for recommendations for the tandem type ones - any advice gratefully received!

JohnLapsleyParlabane Sun 21-May-17 19:54:05

Phil and Ted's

pipnchops Sun 21-May-17 19:58:47

I got a send hand Phil and Ted's sport with a cocoon which has been amazing.

pipnchops Sun 21-May-17 20:01:22

*second hand

Oh and forgot to say congratulations!

Iwantawhippet Sun 21-May-17 20:02:14

Mountain buggy duet. Side by side, but narrower than lots of singles. Robust, stable feel. Our eldest last sat in at when he was 5 on a day out at legoland and looked a bit squashed, but was very comfy until he was about four.

minipie Sun 21-May-17 20:02:43

Have a look at the 360 nipper double - if it will fit your doors then I'd get that one hands down. It's a side by side but very narrow and soooo easy to push - easier than many singles I've tried.

Side by sides are much better IME as the DC can both nap (difficult with a tandem esp once past newborn stage), both can see out, and for basket space (tends to disappear or be inaccessible with tandems). Loads of nippers available cheaply second hand. Mountain buggy does a similar option.

If you really do need a tandem I think the uppababy vista 2015 looks the best - but it won't be cheap. Of the phil and teds the Navigator is the best I think as the back seat does recline a little.

imcrackersme Sun 21-May-17 20:06:11

I gave that same age gap and I got a Phil and teds with the cacoon. Baby is now 3 months and I couldn't have done it out it we my nearly 2 year old won't walk that far. It's quite narrow so no issues fitting through doorways also it doesn't take up to much room in th car.

LyndaLaHughes Sun 21-May-17 20:14:23

Baby jogger- either the city select if you want a tandem or the city mini double is you want a side by side. The great thing about the select is that the child behind is higher not stuck underneath and the seats are a good size too.

triangularchocolate Sun 21-May-17 22:08:14

Thank you - plenty to get me started with some research. Didn't realise side by sides could be narrow so will definitely look into that!

teaandbiscuitsforme Mon 22-May-17 06:19:31

I've got the Uppababy Vista with a 21 month gap. It's not the narrowest of singles because it's got a fairly wide base to balance two children but you can use any combination of car seat, pram, seat and second seat. And whichever position they're in, each seat can recline independently so either of them can nap if you need it.

You can also add a buggy board for number 3 wink

Chattycat78 Mon 22-May-17 06:54:36

City select baby jogger- recommended above. 17 month gap here. We bought it second hand on gumtree!

Tellmeagain Mon 22-May-17 15:31:40

I'll have the same age gap when I have my second child later this year. We looked at loads of doubles, I wanted a Mountain Buggy Duet or Out n About but my son is high on the height/weight charts and he cried in both and didn't have much room so I didn't think they'd last long for us. Instead we went for the Uppababy Vista 2015 which can be used as both a single and double (useful when eldest is at nursery and I can just have baby in carrycot). Huge basket, wheels are wider than I'd like but plenty of space in the seats and adjustable for naps.

We got an ex-display model at a great price but I'd go for a second hand model if you can - they tend to sell on fairly well so you could re-sell within a year if you want to use a single with buggy board attached.

Latium123 Wed 24-May-17 10:57:39

I had the exact same age gap and I would say the Out n About Nipper 360 is the best option. It is not much wider than a standard single buggy, fits standard doors, easy to fold and put away and it is so easy to push even when they get heavier. It goes over any terrain, easy to push up kerbs. They are side by side and so you don't have the fight to get one in sitting below the other. It is not too expensive either relative to many options. This would be my strong recommendation to anyone looking for a double. It's fab.

minipie Wed 24-May-17 12:19:56

Out n About sometimes has a clearance section on their website - if you want new but reduced

minipie Wed 24-May-17 12:22:27

Oh and I have to say, Out n About has really impressive customer service. The brake broke on my double nipper, I rang up to ask for it to be repaired and they sent me a box to put it in, sellotape to close the box (!), a courier collected it and they replaced the brake and delivered back in a few days. All for a not silly price. Fab.

minipie Wed 24-May-17 12:23:51

(I should say the brake broke after many years of hard use by several families!)

InDubiousBattle Wed 24-May-17 16:17:48

I have a 19 month age gap and love our Phil and Teds Sport. It must have done hundreds of miles and cost £80 off e bay. I walk and use public transport a lot and the Phil and Teds is great for getting on and off buses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now