Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Silent reflux or over anxious ftm

(13 Posts)
yellowismyfavourite Sat 20-May-17 18:15:26

Hi my DS is 3 and a half weeks old and ebf. He often but not always shows the following :
After feeding sounds like he is spitting up but then nothing comes out. Sometimes can hear a swallow, sometimes he coughs
Frequent hiccups especially when trying to sleep
Not a good day time sleeper although he has some good days. Often wakes within 30 minutes of being put down. Strangely not such a problem at night since we started co sleeping and side by side feeding
Frequent trapped wind with lots of arms and legs kicking... This can go on for hours and looks painful
Over feeding... even when full will want more to soothe distress (I am talking about cluster feeding up to 3 times daily almost every day so not just a growth spurt). Even HV surprised by amount of weight he has put on
Wheezing when in the sling even after positioning checked with no blockage to airways... sounds like something caught in his throat.
Arching his neck after every feed. He also squeaks and arches his neck a lot while sleeping
He also has fairly persistent mild nappy rash

I am a ftm and very anxious anyway so not sure if I am worrying about nothing. However both MIL and DM (retired mw) are surprised by his behaviour although they haven't seen all of it and none of my friends babies at a similar age behave like this. HV said it was normal baby behaviour especially as he doesn't cry much. Am trying to hold him upright after each feed but he hates it and fights to come down.
We are seeing GP on Monday about the nappy rash on advice of HV... do I mention it or are they going to think I am being stupid worrying over nothing?

OnlyABitStressed Sat 20-May-17 18:17:27

Sounds like reflux. Could also be a dairy allergy! How are his poops?

Try cutting dairy out for a few days and see if that helps.

PragmaticWench Sat 20-May-17 18:17:41

It does sound like my DD and she had silent reflux. How's the feeding going?

PragmaticWench Sat 20-May-17 18:19:03

Oh and I was ridiculously anxious but that didn't cause DD's silent reflux, whatever the doctors suggested. You can be anxious and also have something wrong with your child!

yellowismyfavourite Sat 20-May-17 19:23:52

Poops are frequent and yellow. He feeds all the time sometimes for hours then an hours break then we start again!
Thanks pragmatic that makes me feel better
I will give cutting out dairy a try

OnlyABitStressed Sat 20-May-17 19:53:34

Mine did the feeding game all the time - and up to 12 poops a day! Was dairy allergy (cmpi) and reflux :-(

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Sun 21-May-17 13:15:58

I'm not trained and it's difficult to tell over the Internet anyway but the thing that stood out is the wheezing. Newborns shouldn't wheeze.

Has anyone spoken to you about CMPA?

If it were me, I'd insist on a referral to a Paeditrician at your appointment tomorrow. Don't let them put you off by saying "but he's gaining weight", babies with CMPA often overfeed.

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Sun 21-May-17 13:17:38

Hace a read of this on Kellymom too smile

PragmaticWench Sun 21-May-17 20:15:59

That's true, both of my babies had CMPA and gained a pound a week, even DS who had non-silent reflux and puked all the time.

yellowismyfavourite Mon 22-May-17 10:50:04

Thanks for the links. Doctor thinks he might be showing early signs of asthma as well as reflux as there is a strong family history. He said that we should see an improvement within a couple of weeks with the reflux but if we are still worried to go back.

GetReady Mon 22-May-17 10:59:07

Are you going to avoid dairy?

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Tue 23-May-17 21:52:42

So, what has the GP suggested you do OP?

user1495382992 Tue 23-May-17 22:05:04

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now