Talk

Advanced search

Bath time with 3 week old

(18 Posts)
gamerpigeon Fri 19-May-17 16:36:46

Any tips on how to make bath time less upsetting for a 3 week old baby? She has gotten used to top and tailing but both times we've tried bath time (using an angelcare bath seat) she has absolutely hated it sad

RoganJosh Fri 19-May-17 16:37:23

Take her in with you?

SilverdaleGlen Fri 19-May-17 16:38:24

Don't bother? Just wash down the dirty bits. None of mine liked baths you can't make it more fun!

Heirhelp Fri 19-May-17 16:40:25

Make it as quick as possible and only once a week. A quick dark warm room. As soon as it is finished wrap in a towel and feed.

Dearohdeer Fri 19-May-17 16:45:50

Is the water too cold? They are used to it being quite warm in utero and sometimes people are a bit too cautious of heat. Definitely get in with her if you can. It went from being a dreaded experience to my favourite one when we upped the temperature and started co-bathing.

donajimena Fri 19-May-17 16:47:42

I used to put much more water than the guide on the seat and make sure that the water was very warm.

DeanKoontz Fri 19-May-17 16:51:55

Deep warm water. Dd went from hating being bathed as a newborn, to loving it after a Midwife showed us what to do. Prior to that, we were basically just splashing her with cool water. No wonder she screamed!

I love the look of those bath buckets.

bilbobaggi Fri 19-May-17 17:05:31

Get in with her!! Always get in the bath with DS (now 9 months) used a bath thermometer so it was warm enough, made it nice and deep, and played/ sang to him. Love bath time

crazypenguinlady Fri 19-May-17 17:28:18

My son hated baths to begin with. Things that have helped have been time, making the water slightly warmer, having a bath with dad, and buying a sponge thing from Home Bargains. I think being supported in the water with my DP or the sponge has helped made him feel more secure so he's not as scared. Good luck, hopefully it will pass with time.

RestingBitch Fri 19-May-17 17:29:02

I used a baby bath and my son loved it. Nice warm water, and make sure the rooms warm as well. Lots of smiles and silly songs. My niece hates the bath when my SIL baths her, but when my mum baths her she sings songs and takes her time, and my niece loves it.

CatsCantFlyFast Fri 19-May-17 17:40:02

The angelcare bath seat means barely any of their body is under water as it's not steeply sloped. Ime babies like deeper water (and make sure it's hot enough). Or try a tummy rub

newyorkgirl Fri 19-May-17 18:19:12

I'm using the same bath seat, my son hatedhis first bath but now he loves them he is only 5 weeks old. I bought a sponge pad to put on bath seat it was only £2.50 from home bargains I dip it in water so it's all warm and soft and then put it on the bath seat. I put more water in than what it reccomends and I also lay a flannel over him so he doesn't get as much air to his body and he feels covered and I keep dipping into the water so it's nice and warm for him! Also things like music helps and using a baby sensory toy that lights stars and lights on the ceiling may help

Chosenbyyou Fri 19-May-17 19:35:28

I bath my 6 week old mid morning as it is the time they are most calm - might be worth a try. Make sure she is not hungry and not over sleepy xx

chloechloe Fri 19-May-17 19:50:33

Have never tried the Angelcare seat. But it's best that they're well submerged (hold them firmly using a pincer grip under one underarm). Having their ears under water often calms them down and have their feet touching the side of the bath so they can feel some support. To get them used to the water dip their feet in first, then their bottom, then their body.

Bath once a week and as quickly as possible - 3 to 5 minutes.

pipnchops Fri 19-May-17 20:11:03

My DD hated bath time until I started laying her flat on her back in the big bath on a non slip mat so she was completely covered by water, except for her face obviously, then she loved it. Now she is 6mo she can sit up and play with toys and it's the highlight of her week!

gamerpigeon Fri 19-May-17 22:20:17

Thank you all so much for the advice - we just tried co-bathing in warmer deeper water and she was much happier and actually let us wash her. Yay! Now I just need to get more comfortable with handling her - only just avoided several very painful kicks grin

crazypenguinlady Sat 20-May-17 21:46:32

So glad that bath time went well for you both. It's definitely all trial and error. My son (3 months) baths with daddy on a Saturday and started kicking loads -- twice this evening he kicked him in the nether regions grin

Youvegotafriendinme Sat 20-May-17 21:58:16

She will get used to it,bless her. We have the same bath seat for DS and we first bathed him when he was 5/6 weeks old. He hated it and screamed so much he pooped himself! We waited a few more weeks and tried again and he only cried towards the end. We only did it once or twice a week till he was about 16/18 weeks old. Now (6mo) he absolutely loves his baths.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now