Talk

Advanced search

Shoes off?

(22 Posts)
AutumnRose1988 Fri 19-May-17 14:01:39

I am asking for people's opinions as I genuinely would like to know whether I am being over sensitive. I will get comfort in being told I'm over sensitive as I can just lighten up or if other people agree then I'll also be pleased to know it isn't just me!

Downstairs in our house is small. No entrance hall or porch, it's just small kitchen and then our living room so guests often come in with their shoes on. I didn't used to mind when we didn't have babies but now I have little ones (that both are crawling and putting toys that have been on floor in their mouths )I do mind. I always take my shoes off in people's homes so I do find it hard to comprehend that others come into my home with outdoor shoes and walk all over my rug etc. Like I said, before babies I would have just accepted it but today a colleague came to visit and it's a rainy day and walked straight in and walked all over my carpet where my babies crawl around (albeit on a throw when poss!) he even put his feet on a cushion that was on the floor for the babies. I just can't bring myself to pick someone up and do wonder whether it's be being a germaphobe? I know my colleague is quite outdoorsy so that made it worse for me! Am I being over sensitive to germs etc or would others find this frustrating?

Twinkletwinklelittlestarma Fri 19-May-17 14:14:40

No I ageee with you! Shoes off whenever you enter a house, especially not your own. As soon as you step in from the front door they should be off! More so when there are little ones around!

AutumnRose1988 Fri 19-May-17 14:39:35

Thank goodness it's not just me! I wouldn't mind the parts of the house that can be mopped but my rug? The rug where my babies crawl around and play with their toys?

If I'm honest...wearing shoes in the house makes my skin crawl confused

Highalert Fri 19-May-17 14:42:13

Do you not have a doormat?

Gillian1980 Fri 19-May-17 14:43:56

We keep shoes on in our house, just out of habit as it was like that in both of our family homes.

However I always ask when I go to other people's houses whether it's shoes off. I do a lot of home visits for work and always ask them too.

chickpeaburger Fri 19-May-17 14:46:55

More and more people are becoming aware. Your visitor wasn't and you should just have said "do you mind taking your shoes off".

It's not a big thing to do. Visitors to us know to do it but the occasional new person doesn't so we have to say it.

BlahBlahBlahEtc Fri 19-May-17 14:48:30

Shoes off! Especially with little ones and putting feet on a cushion anyway is grim. I have the front door which goes straight into the living room with kitchen on the back wall, it took hassling some folk but every one inc my stubborn fil takes their shoes off now.

NennyNooNoo Fri 19-May-17 14:48:47

Regardless of what someone does in their own home, they should offer to remove shoes in someone else's. We have a dog and cat who wander in and out freely (without shoes grin), as do the humans in the household in the summer months, so a strict shoes-off rule would be pointless here, and I don't expect guests to. But I do keep a pair of crocs by the door to minimise transfer of dirt into the house (the fact that DS 'borrows' them and then leaves them in the garden and walks back in barefoot puts my plan into disarray).

ODog Fri 19-May-17 14:50:00

Obviously in your house you can decide on whatever you want. However if it's just germs you are concerned about then I wouldn't worry. Presumably your babies crawl around outside, especially now weather is a bit better? If so, then what's the difference?

ShotsFired Fri 19-May-17 14:53:16

You are in a tricky situation - you don't have a house that makes a shoes off policy very easy; yet you are freaking out a bit too much over shoes on happening. Deep down I'm sure you know babies are pretty rufty tufty and will get worse germs from many other sources than some rainwater (our streets are not festooned with dogshit that we unknowingly tread in every day, which seems to be the usual argument)

It's a weird one too - whatever side you are on, the other one seems entirely unthinkable, so the offendee thinks the offender is a thoughtless moron/anal idiot.

donajimena Fri 19-May-17 14:53:40

I don't mind shoes on in my house but I always ask in other peoples! I even keep my own slippers at my friends.

Silverthorn Fri 19-May-17 14:57:35

I let my baby crawl around outside when it's a nice day but I watch him constantly in case he puts anything in his mouth or crawls in something icky or pointy. It's exhausting. I don't have to do that in my own home because the floors are clean and baby safe.

Eolian Fri 19-May-17 15:07:27

MN is divided and vociferous on the shoes on/shoes off thing. I'm not bothered about shoes off myself. Children need to build their immune system. Are you never going to allow them in the garden or on the beach? Bacteria are everywhere - on hands, surfaces, clothes, bags etc. They mostly don't do you any harm, especially if you have been allowed to be exposed to them and build up your immune system.

ODog Fri 19-May-17 15:13:55

People wearing their shoes in the house isn't going to suddenly make your floors overrun with stuff that is 'icky' or 'pointy' silverthorn.

Februaryjones Fri 19-May-17 15:16:06

We're a shoes off house and most visitors take them off without asking - but if they don't, I just ask. Just ask them to!

GingersHaveSouls Fri 19-May-17 15:23:15

It so has to be shoes off!!
I hate it when I'm watching "homes under the hammer" when they show the finished houses and the estate agents are walking all over the new carpets with their shoes on. It just seems so ignorant.

MrsD79 Fri 19-May-17 15:24:09

Shoes off wherever there is any carpet is the rule in my house. I don't care who gets offended. Have you any idea what's on the soles of those things!!! I don't spend all day cleaning to avoid offending people. Sod that! Your house = your rules.

PodgeBod Fri 19-May-17 15:30:46

My house is the same way- from front door to kitchen to living room. We are shoes off and it's hard to get people to respect it. You just have to grit your teeth and risk offending them.

ShotsFired Fri 19-May-17 15:50:57

MrsD79 ^
Shoes off wherever there is any carpet is the rule in my house. I don't care who gets offended.
Have you noticed that you are the one being offended? grin

I don't spend all day cleaning to avoid offending people
There is probably a correlation between people who spend "all day" cleaning and who worry about a visitor wearing their shoes inside the house....

As you can tell, I am not fussed either way. My carpets have been down about 15 years and not one single person has died, become ill or otherwise tainted. Nor do the floors look dirty, just normal I can attest this as I have moved furniture and they are the same colour underneath.

AutumnRose1988 Fri 19-May-17 16:24:03

To the post asking whether I have a doormat...yes I do but it doesn't have anti bacterial qualities that can fight against shoes that have been rambling around farm yards and rural areas and what not. My twins were small and prem & not had an opportunity to take them in the garden so no they haven't shuffled (not quite crawling) in garden yet.

As a child I was always told to take my shoes off in someone's house and as soon as I am in a house I automatically take them off lol so unusual for me when someone strides in with walking boots and a bit tetchy as it was onto clean, cream rug where babies play.
Thanks all for your answers. All very helpful and appreciated xxxx

KoolKoala07 Fri 19-May-17 16:26:58

I like shoes off in my home. Not realky because of the germ aspect it's more because my carpet cost a lot of money and I don't want it filthy with shoes constantly trodden over it.

Anatidae Fri 19-May-17 16:29:02

Of course shoes off! In most parts of the world it's almost taboo to go into someone's house in shoes. Here in Sweden you just don't do it, it'd be considered grossly offensive.

Your house your rules.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now