Talk

Advanced search

Stupid parenting advice you've been given

(137 Posts)
Lillieslamb Wed 17-May-17 23:29:30

What 'stupid' parenting advice have people given you?

The ones that stand out to me:
Put whiskey in dd's milk to make her sleep
Give dd multi vitamins instead of milk as she doesn't need it now (at about 6 or 7 months old)
And my friend was once told a ham sandwich would cure her baby's cold!

Where do people even get these things?

ElleDubloo Thu 18-May-17 01:47:23

These people should be reported to social services.

Eeeeek2 Thu 18-May-17 09:56:23

Rusk in the bottle
Wean at 12 weeks
Don't let baby put any weight on its legs it'll go bandy legs
Just put the baby down after you feed it - it'll sleep until you need to feed it 4 hours later. Oh and you don't need to feed more often otherwise you'll spoil it.
Make up bottles with cold boiled water
Don't need to sterilise anything

nellythegoat Thu 18-May-17 10:07:45

Don't cuddle the newborn you will spoil it
Rusks in the bottle with the milk (tbf I think that this was possibly fairly standard and acceptable in the 70's)
When you go to bed take a hot bottle of milk up with you, wrap it in a towel and then they wake in the night it will be just the right temperature... shock
Having a sling will make them clingy when they are older (total opposite is true).
Oooh, go on, give them a bit of chocolate, it won't hurt. At them time DD was so small we were still counting her age in weeks, the same crowd said the same things a couple of years later at a party but with beer.

WateryTart Thu 18-May-17 10:19:34

Never say no to your child.

peaceloveandbiscuits Thu 18-May-17 12:10:21

"It's your job to teach DS that we stay awake in the day and sleep at night". Cue me trying desperately to keep a week old baby awake hmm thanks mum.

YellowRoses6 Thu 18-May-17 15:03:01

I had the same stupid advice about teaching the difference between night and day - from a midwife no less - which resulted in us as clueless new parents trying to keep our horribly overtired newborn awake in the evenings. Disastrous all round!!

Lillieslamb Fri 19-May-17 07:43:40

Some of these are awful!

I had lot of the same comments about having dd in a sling when she was small, she was manipulative and had to learn to be without me apparently. It's weird how many people think you can spoil a newborn baby.

DoubleCarrick Fri 19-May-17 07:46:49

"I can't possibly think your baby needs feeding again" about four week old ds who was still pretty much feeding constantly

DoubleCarrick Fri 19-May-17 07:47:40

And another "he's much happier in his basket than in your arms" about ds who used to puke every time he was out down

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Fri 19-May-17 07:49:35

Not advice but an odd commend from my df. .
"Oh his eyes are open - I thought it was 6 weeks before they opened. . "
No df that's kittens. .

NeoTrad Fri 19-May-17 07:52:10

The "advice" on this thread is not so much stupid as ignorant.

FenellaMaxwellsPony Fri 19-May-17 07:55:52

To be fair, the day and night advice is good advice, you just interpreted it wrongly. You are meant to help them establish their circadian rhythms, so naps in the day would have light and noise, and at night are quiet and dark, you aren't meant to force them to stay awake!

gigi556 Fri 19-May-17 07:58:12

Sadly, the older generation don't realize that the advice has changed in the last 30 years! You know, because of research...

stargirl1701 Fri 19-May-17 08:01:53

Stop breastfeeding and use camel milk with DD2 who has a dairy allergy. Camel milk. FFS.

Only1scoop Fri 19-May-17 08:02:55

Some of the 'stupid' advice is bang on IMO just interpreted wrongly.grin

Only1scoop Fri 19-May-17 08:03:26

The rusk bottle thing ugghhh grim

YellowRoses6 Fri 19-May-17 08:03:41

Fenella yes I should have been a bit clearer - the light and dark etc makes sense; what I was told was specifically to try and keep baby awake in the evening so he'd be tired for the night, which is an absolutely terrible thing to do!

purplecoathanger Fri 19-May-17 08:05:39

Pick your baby up every time she cries. Controversial perhaps but I took it completely literally with my first and had a nightmare time.

usefultoken Fri 19-May-17 08:06:45

Camel milk can work for people with dairy allergy but not instead of breastmilk!

TwatteryFlowers Fri 19-May-17 08:25:13

I had one sister telling me not to pick newborn ds up every time he cried as I was only pandering to him and helping him learn that I'd come every time he cried. I had another sister tell me not to pick ds up when he was happy and that I should leave him alone and by talking to and playing with him I was disturbing him and making him cry. My mum was guilty of telling me both. In the end I got annoyed and shouted, "When the bloody hell am I meant to pick him and talk to him then? What's wrong with showing him love and giving him attention?"

Interestingly I wasn't able to pick dd up anywhere near as often and had to leave her to cry a lot more because ds was only 17months when she was a baby. She was so much more clingy and fussy as a baby and now, as a young child, although she's more independent than ds I don't feel that we are as closely bonded and that's such a shame.

SnugglySnerd Fri 19-May-17 08:31:07

When I was breastfeeding 2 different family members suggested giving a bottle of water with sugar in to space out feeds. Apart from being inappropriate I'm not sure it's very logical, I'd still have been feeding them plus I'd have had to wash and sterilize a bottle.

Glitterywillows Fri 19-May-17 08:35:36

Never let your new baby cry, always get to them before they start, eg feed before they are hungry etc. This advise was from a midwife. Not letting your newborn cry is an impossible task.

Glitterywillows Fri 19-May-17 08:38:30

I was also told by mil that I spend much time with my baby and she won't be normal. confused. She would apparently end up socially unaware and unable​ to make friends.

katiegg Fri 19-May-17 08:46:29

i was told to boil an onion in a pot of water and give ds2 some of the water to help with his wind. [hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now