Talk

Advanced search

Child nursery hours - help!

(16 Posts)
MrsPringles Tue 16-May-17 12:13:20

My husband and I are disagreeing on this so he has asked me to 'ask your mum group'
So can anyone help clear this up?

DS is 2 and has been offered a school nursery place from September when he is 3. Mornings so 8.40-11.40. We will then be using a childminder on 3 days from 11.40-6 until we get home from work.

DH thinks that on top of being at school every morning, we will still be entitled to 15 hours free child care a week with the childminder. I have already asked her at DH request and she said that the school will be the free hours so she will be x amount per hour.

Anyone shed any light?

MrsPringles Tue 16-May-17 12:14:02

Also I don't know why I gave it that thread name idiot blush

JohnLapsleyParlabane Tue 16-May-17 12:14:53

I think the childminder has it right

dementedpixie Tue 16-May-17 12:15:01

Why does he think he gets extra free hours?

GoodForgetter Tue 16-May-17 12:16:58

You get 15 hours total. The school nursery is still nursery so you can claim the free hours from them or from your childminder but not both. Unless you qualify for the 30 hours once that starts?

MrsPringles Tue 16-May-17 12:17:08

Pixie

I have no idea confused

MoreThanUs Tue 16-May-17 12:18:01

School nursery is the 15 hours free and additional childcare needs to be paid by you.

angelcakesrule Tue 16-May-17 12:18:49

Is he talking about the 30 hours that comes in September?

I believe some childminders accept funded hours and if this was the case then yes you could use them but not all childminder do nor do they have to

MoreThanUs Tue 16-May-17 12:19:41

Ahhh - are you getting 30 hours in total? Just be aware they not all childcare settings offer the 15 / 30 free hours. In fact, most don't!

pottered Tue 16-May-17 12:20:01

yes, absolutely the childminder is right, you've used up the free hours on the nursery. But you should also check when the 30 hour rule comes in...

MrsPringles Tue 16-May-17 12:20:42

He means the 15 hours that we would be entitled to, I'm not sure that we would be eligible for 30 hours.

I'm not quite sure why his brain can't understand that the hours will be used by the school nursery and then we pay for the childminder but this helps!

liquidrevolution Tue 16-May-17 12:26:58

Not all childminders offer the free hours (mine doesnt sad)

MrsPringles Tue 16-May-17 12:35:28

Just out of interest, what do others pay for a childminder per hour?

I'm in the SE and it's £5 which I thought seemed pretty reasonable

happymama99 Tue 16-May-17 12:36:08

From September you may be entitled to 30 hours if you both work, it can be split between 2 settings. It is optional though so your childminder might not offer the free hours

MrsPringles Tue 16-May-17 12:40:04

We've just looked and we will be eligible, but obviously depends on her offering 30 hours

angelcakesrule Tue 16-May-17 14:19:49

MrsPringles I'm in south east and pay £4, but that's because I get a sibling discount! At one time I had 3 children who used her and thankfully even though she only has my youngest now that's still what she charges me. I'm very lucky with my childminder and she is very flexible and I only pay for what I use, and if I'm on holiday/sick etc I don't pay.

OP I saw somewhere the other day that the funding rate is only something like £3.60 per hour so depending on how much your childminder cost this is probably why she doesn't except it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now