Talk

Advanced search

Baby poo.

(18 Posts)
friends123 Mon 15-May-17 20:40:27

Hi, this might be a bit of a strange question but here it goes.
So I have 4 week old and he currently poos about 15 -20 times a day. Does this seem a little excessive or completely normal? Thanks

Heirhelp Mon 15-May-17 20:42:30

In my experience this is excessive. Have you spoken to your HV?

drinkyourmilk Mon 15-May-17 20:48:22

Mine pooped every feed at that age.
Are you leaving a few minutes between a poop and a change? Not meaning to be patronising - just that mine could take a few minutes to finish, and each poop could come in a couple of waves.

MrsELM21 Mon 15-May-17 20:58:21

Sounds excessive to me is say 6-8 is around about the upper limit

friends123 Mon 15-May-17 21:05:55

Thanks for the replies, yeah we do leave it a while after feeding him. It does seem to be after every feed and that is very frequent at the minute.

He's been very poorly, he's been on antibiotics that stopped 3 days ago, these have given him a really bad bum so we're doing his nappy often to not cause anymore upset. We haven't spoken to hv yet, well not about that anyway, we've been constantly at the doctors for one thing or another the past two weeks. sad

friends123 Mon 15-May-17 21:08:57

He is breastfed. Does that make a difference?

Joffmognum Mon 15-May-17 21:13:36

Mine was breastfed, and the same! He pooped about 12-15 times a day, sometimes as much as 20. They were all very little, we went through so many nappies :/

As soon as we gave him food at 6 months he only pooped once a day.

Ours is breastfed too.

Joffmognum Mon 15-May-17 21:16:54

It can be completely normal - as long as baby isn't showing any other signs of illness, they're fine smile

It's uncommon, but not bad. The only downside we saw was that it was easy to get nappy rash because during a long car journey etc he was pretty much guaranteed to be sat in it halfway through the journey.

Ours has never been ill apart from the occasional cold and at 8 months old has a normal digestive system

As always, ask your health visitor if you're not sure

villainousbroodmare Mon 15-May-17 21:17:11

Seems an awful lot. My bf ds pooped about once a week for his first 6 months. Since then, twice a day.

user76895432 Mon 15-May-17 21:21:38

Is this normal for him or has it just started in the last few days?

If it's normal for him and he seems otherwise fine then I wouldn't worry.

But if it's new, then I'd keep an eye on it. It's possible it could be a reaction to the antibiotics. My DD had some that really upset her tummy as a baby.

What are the poos like? If yellow and seedy, all is likely to be fine. If green, watery or mucusy it would indicate an issue.

parmavioletmartini Mon 15-May-17 21:24:26

Could be the antibiotics.

When my DD was a similar age she was similar and that was a result of the antibiotics passing through my breastmilk.

Check with health visitor.

friends123 Mon 15-May-17 21:41:20

Okay thanks all. I will ring them tomorrow( I just feel a bit bad ringing them all the time like I will be judged as being not capable :/.)
He's always done a lot. The midwife wanted 8-10 a day from him and he's always done that and that was when he was feeding every 3, sometimes 4 hours. He seems constantly stuck to me at the minute. Every 1.5 hours -2 hours.
His bum is red raw from the antibiotics. The doctor prescribed canestern cream although it doesn't seem to be doing much right now. I just feel like breastfeeding him Isn't really helping him right now at all. All the poos, eye infections etc. sad.

friends123 Mon 15-May-17 21:43:15

They do look normal all yellow and seedy so it's just the amount. Like I say it just feels like it's my milk and he would be better off on formula.

MrsELM21 Mon 15-May-17 21:45:37

Yellow metanium cream will sort his bum out in a flash, just check there's no age limit on it though

user76895432 Mon 15-May-17 21:48:48

If the poos are a normal colour/consistency then I wouldn't worry too much. As PP suggested, get some metanium cream to use on his bottom. It's marvellous stuff.

friends123 Mon 15-May-17 21:53:28

We've been using metanium for about a week now. Not touched it so far. Thanks guys, I do feel a lot more reassured. I will change my diet see if that helps. 😊

Emma2803 Mon 15-May-17 23:31:10

Metanium mixed in equal parts with vaseline and orabase paste ( get from the chemist) apply at each change! Poor little mite! It's nothing your doing don't worry, the antibiotics probably haven't helped. You could take or give him some infant pro biotics if you the antibiotics are the culprit.

Emma2803 Mon 15-May-17 23:32:19

Also you could try going lactose free for a few weeks to give his little tummy time to recover.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now