Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Describe the first day of potty training...

(10 Posts)
Buglife Mon 15-May-17 15:03:06

To make me feel better about today! (Or worse maybe!) DS is 3 in August and we've cracked on with it today. He's wee'd in 4 pairs of pants (he's now naked from the waist down as I've given up on that) and we've had 2 wee's in the potty compared to 6 little puddles on the floor. Some have just been drops like he's started but was aware he shouldn't. I'm asking him at 15 min intervals to sit on the potty but he's getting Cross because he wants to play and when he does he wee's. He's sick of the sound of me asking if he needs a wee and whether he wants to sit on potty and has taken to running away into the next room rather than listen to me bore on about wee. I'm dreading the first poo situation. He's getting a sticker for each successful potty use and a mini biscuit for sitting and trying. He's started to even turn down a biscuit earning opportunity! Is this pretty standard for day one?! He's at home all week except for one day at nursery on Weds (and they will keep up the potty) so I hope he will crack it...

InDubiousBattle Mon 15-May-17 15:08:18

Sounds very similar to my ds only we had most wet pants and fewer biscuits. We had a bash a couple of weeks ago and have abandoned it. We'll try again in a couple of weeks.

Mummummummummummmmmmy Mon 15-May-17 15:09:37

Crap up the wall and piss all over my sofa,bed,floor,curtains confused...you get the picture right?
They eventually got it, it just takes time and patience.

PolkaDotFlamingo Mon 15-May-17 15:15:06

Day one was piss everywhere. Day two was a bit less of it everywhere. Day 3 the majority of it went in the toilet/potty. Day four - dry!

MsWanaBanana Mon 15-May-17 15:17:39

I know it's different for everyone but we found getting a kids seat that fits on top on the toilet a lot easier for training than a potty. With my first dd we tried potty and then had to re-train her all over again because she didn't like using an actual toilet. This time I've put my twin ds's straight on the toilet and it took them a little over a week to be accident free.

PlugUgly1980 Mon 15-May-17 15:29:19

First couple of attempts, a few weeks apart, a couple of pairs of wet pants in the first few hours, and I gave up, as she didn't seem bothered! I'm a lazy mum, but watched my SIL get so stressed with potty training that I thought, you know what, I'm just going to wait til she's ready (especially as we had a new baby to contend with). Left it another few months, and at almost 3 and with Christmas approaching we had another go, on the pretence of being a good, big girl and Father Christmas bringing lots of nice toys if she tried really hard to keep her pants dry (bad mummy), but it worked and we've only had a couple of unfortunate accidents since (both related to her being shocked and making her jump). We didn't bother with a potty, but went straight to toilet trainer seat as she goes to nursery full time and whilst they do have a potty it's easier all round if they use the little toilets. There's absolutely nothing wrong with waiting, there are plenty of 3 year olds at my daughter's nursery who aren't potty trained and it's considered normal. We still use pull ups on a night, but going to start phasing them out now as she's started waking up asking for a wee anyway in the night. Good luck!

OlennasWimple Mon 15-May-17 15:31:22

Same here MsWana

OP - sounds about right - stick with it, he'll get the hang of it smile wine

Buglife Mon 15-May-17 16:28:24

Yeah it's been a day of weeing on the floor onto his train set even when right next to the potty. not sure he gets it! Will try tomorrow and see how engines on a Wednesday and if no improvement I'll give it a month!

teaandbiscuitsforme Mon 15-May-17 16:52:24

We did no pants at all for the first four weeks. Two days of no bottoms and then into trousers but no pants. My DD was doing lots of little wees but soon started doing bigger, less frequent wees after a day or so of watching for her sign and moving her to the potty.

Not the most fun few days but it gets much easier once you're over the worst of it! Good luck!

Buglife Mon 15-May-17 18:57:43

After dinner there has been a substantial wee in the potty, like an actual wee rather than a trickle. And then a trickle later. So 4 successful weeing on the potty situations and he was all enthused telling his dad about it all. He's in a nappy for bed and surprisingly hasn't pooed in it immediately (he hasn't had one and he's a 2-3 a day kinda guy). Roll on tomorrow!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now