Talk

Advanced search

Moving away from grandparents - how do you break the news?

(13 Posts)
Pandabear123 Sun 14-May-17 10:00:58

Hi all, there is a very good chance my husband is going to get a fantastic job opportunity that would mean moving away from where we live. We are currently on the Isle of Wight and all my family are here but the job is in Hampshire. I happy to make the move as it is good for our family (a good job, nice location, pay rise and free accommodation), even though it will mean moving away from my parents, siblings and a number of good girl friends. My problem is that my family love seeing my 3 year old (we moved back here when born) and our new baby... my mum in particular is a very emotional person and I am already worried sick about telling her should the job come off. Any advice on how to deal with the situation? X

LittleBearPad Sun 14-May-17 10:03:44

Just tell them. That's how life is. I thought you were going to say you were moving countries.

Hampshire is no distance (isn't the IoW in Hampshire) albeit irritating because of the ferries/cats. Where are you moving to.

Maybe they'll move off the island too.

seven201 Sun 14-May-17 10:06:35

Hampshire is very very close to the Isle of Wight. I think you just need to do it as worrying about it is making it seem bigger than it is. I'd do it when it's just you and your parents around and say that a fantastic opportunity has come up... will you have a spare room? Although obviously day trips would be very easy unless anyone has a phobia of the ferry.

Slightlyperturbedowlagain Sun 14-May-17 10:10:26

You could present it as a positive 'isn't it lucky it's only Hampshire and not Newcastle?'

TeenAndTween Sun 14-May-17 19:59:53

Agree Hampshire isn't exactly miles away from IoW (and schools are a lot better!)

PotteringAlong Sun 14-May-17 20:01:31

I thought you were going to say you were moving thousands of miles away! It's Hampshire; it will be fine.

Ilovewillow Sun 14-May-17 20:08:54

We love in Hampshire and my parents and sister live on the IOW, we have never lived there any actually our love to Hampshire was to be closer to them! Although they don't see our children frequently we still manage to see them every six weeks or so , school hols! Due to the ferry it's a 3 hr trip but not a big deal!

Ilovewillow Sun 14-May-17 20:09:12

Live not love!

Fruitboxjury Sun 14-May-17 20:12:50

As pp, say isn't it lucky he's been offered such a fantastic job so close by. If you only moved there 3 years ago they'll understand you have to be flexible for work but I think a lot of families would be grateful that it was such an easy journey.

Do they (or your siblings) have space for you to stay, are you working or will you be with dc in school holidays etc? If so you'll have plenty of opportunities to see them even if you're not on the doorstep

Pandabear123 Tue 16-May-17 13:41:46

Hi all - thank you so much for responses. Yes it is very close only 40 mins to the ferry! I think it is more my family's attitude to a the move off the island rather than actual distance (they see it as a bit of a bubble I think and 'why would you want to leave us?'). We would have a spare room and my parents do too so visits could be often... but it wouldn't be every week like it is now. Thanks yes I can try and present it like that - not another country or far - and hope they understand!! Just reassuring to hear people say it isn't a terrible thing to do! X

Orangedaisy Tue 16-May-17 13:48:48

I recall my mum telling me of an acquaintance she met in tears as her daughter and new husband were moving to Auckland. Maybe tell that story to put yours in perspective!

Pandabear123 Wed 17-May-17 16:20:14

Ha yes! Told them today. Went as expected - bit of anger followed by elation followed by tears followed by silence followed by this is the best thing ever for you guys and maybe we will move too!!! So relieved... just the siblings to tell now! Thanks for all the responses, made me.so much more confident about telling them x

Slightlyperturbedowlagain Wed 17-May-17 16:22:41

That's good, glad it went well. my DM virtually didn't speak to me for 6 months after we told them we were moving 300 miles!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now