Talk

Advanced search

Unwell baby

(14 Posts)
Mummy274 Sat 13-May-17 18:47:12

My little boy has a cold & has gone of his milk,today is the worse as he's hardly drank anything.Is this normal or should I be concerned?

PotteringAlong Sat 13-May-17 18:48:32

How old? Is he drinking anything at all? Still plenty of wet and dirty nappies?

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Sat 13-May-17 18:50:13

How old?
How many wet/dirty nappies?

If small babies are taking less than half the amount milk they usually take, and fewer wet nappies, it's probably worth a trip to out of hours.

Any breathing problems other than stuffy nose etc?

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Sat 13-May-17 19:27:57

Has he got a temperature. If so, will it come down if you give him paracetamol?

Might be worth ringing 111 if you are still worried.

Mummy274 Sat 13-May-17 20:17:39

He's been drinking but today probably half the amount.Still wet nappies & dirty ones yesterday.He's very sleepy today.No breathing problems other than a stuffy nose.Im probably worrying too much as a first time mum.

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Sat 13-May-17 20:29:22

If he's snuffly have you tried snufflebabe or karvol? We had a nasal aspirator for DD, which she hated but she hated having a blocked nose more.

If you haven't got anything like that, run a hot shower, get the bathroom nice and steamy and take him in there, obviously keeping him away from the hot water smile

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Sat 13-May-17 21:43:08

If he's still having wet nappies I wouldn't worry too much, but that's the thing to look out for, along with increased breathing rate, or working too hard to breathe. Try feeding a little more often perhaps, give calpol if he's got a temp etc.
Ring 111 if he gets worse, but it doesn't sound too worrying at the moment.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Sat 13-May-17 21:44:06

Nasal aspirators are amazing, definitely try and get hold of one. They hate them but they work so well. Get a proper one with a tube instead of the bulb type ones

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Sat 13-May-17 21:46:30

Love the user name. You're not this She-Ra are you? smile

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Sat 13-May-17 22:04:57

Good lord no

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Sat 13-May-17 22:45:03

grin

blue2014 Sat 13-May-17 22:56:21

If you don't have a nasal aspiratior and he needs it you can very gently suck the snot from his nose (yes I know! Things i thought I would never dohmm)

LauraPalmersBodybag Sat 13-May-17 23:08:52

How old is op? Is it warm in your home? Is his fontanelle dipped?

You could try turning your shower/bath in very hot and sitting with him in the steamy bathroom. A dewdrops of baby olbas oil can help too.

Mummy274 Sun 14-May-17 06:52:34

We have a nasal aspiratior & snuffle rub,they do help.We managed to get more milk into him late last night & hoping today will be better.His breathing seems better so far.
Thank you for all the advice 😁

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now