Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone moved baby out of carrycot earlier than recommended?

(10 Posts)
crazypenguinlady Sat 13-May-17 11:22:10

I've got the Silver cross Pioneer, all been great so far. We've been using the carrycot up until now and according to the manual, the seat unit isn't recommended for babies under 6 months of age. However, my son is only 2.5 months old (11 weeks next Tuesday) but has almost outgrown his carrycot! He's a very long baby (been in 3-6m bottoms and sleepsuits for a few weeks already) and he's only got a couple of inches where his feet or head aren't touching the bottom or top.

Has anyone put their baby in the seat unit of a pram before 6 months? Just worried about any potential safety issues? He's my first baby btw so all new to me...

crazypenguinlady Sat 13-May-17 11:23:34

Meant to add, I'm really not comfortable leaving him in the car seat for extended periods of time so don't want to connect that to the pram if out for the day etc.

PodgeBod Sat 13-May-17 11:25:51

Yes I had the wayfarer and my daughter could not use the carry cot after 12 weeks (not because she was too big though, she had medical equipment which didn't fit). I put her in the normal seat but kept the seat reclined so she wasn't sitting up too much.

JohnLapsleyParlabane Sat 13-May-17 11:26:40

I don't have that pram, but if the seat unit goes completely flat and you can get baby firmly strapped in I don't see a problem.

AlbusPercival Sat 13-May-17 11:30:37

Same happened for us. Long baby.

Has been in pushchair unit for 4 months now

AConvivialHost Sat 13-May-17 11:40:29

I have the Pioneer and moved my DD up at about 12 weeks - she was 9lb 13oz/60 cms at birth, so a long, big baby and started to look a bit crushed in both the carrycot and the Silver Cross car seat. As she was good at holding herself steady, we moved her up to the pushchair. She was fine, although she did start to drift to one side after a while, so we kept a small kids cushion with us, so that she could rest her head on that, rather than the sides of the pushchair (obviously not left unattended at any point in the pushchair with the cushion).

Lostinaseaofbubbles Sat 13-May-17 14:18:48

The 6 month recommendation is because their spines apparently aren't really strong enough to cope for too long not lying out flat. I'm certain I had to move DS1 out of his carrycot early because he outgrew it and his buggy didn't lie flat, but I used to make it as flat as it would go. Ds2 and ds3 were twins and I didn't bother with carrycots, but I did buy a double buggy that laid out flat so they did lay flat for the first 6 months.

All buggies where the seat won't lie totally flat have to be labelled as not suitable until 6m. Just use common sense and try to keep him in the carrycot as long as you can, and have him laid as flat as possible, and not in the buggy for great long periods.

Jfw82 Sat 13-May-17 14:34:22

We moved ds up from pioneer carry cot to seat at 3.5 months, we had him
At most reclined setting but also bought this head support for him to make him more cosy

Youvegotafriendinme Sun 14-May-17 19:45:50

We have the icandy strawberry 2 and moved DS out from the carry cot at 5 months. Not only did he only have about an inch left but He also learnt to sit and got incredibly frustrated when laying down. I don't have it in the full sitting position yet, I have it in the half or full reclined position and he is much happier.

Heirhelp Mon 15-May-17 20:51:22

We did for the same reason but the pushchair part was suitable from 6 months. We also got a head support but she did not need it for long. I was devastated that she was nolonger totally flat but it was better for her reflux.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now