Talk

Advanced search

7 yo rubbing herself at school

(8 Posts)
katiemoo1979 Fri 12-May-17 16:20:10

I really need some advice - DD's teacher has called me in to say that she is rubbing herself constantly at school, on the edge of tables, against her foot when sat on the carpet. etc etc. We had this happen last year, and we did the whole 'this is something for private, it's not okay in school or in public', but it's apparently got much worse over the past half term and it's now affecting her learning. When I've asked her why, I just get a 'I don't know'. She says it's not itchy or sore, I think it has just become a habit.

Other than repeating myself, and keeping a close eye on it, is there any other steps I could take? I can't see that a doctor can help, but are there other professionals I should be asking? Help would be much appreciated!

HamletsSister Fri 12-May-17 16:35:45

She needs to have something else to do instead. Something acceptable in public. I have eczema and used to scratch places I shouldn't. I was weaned off it by fiddling with blu tack. Is there something like this she can do in school.

katiemoo1979 Fri 12-May-17 17:09:13

That's a great idea! Thank you, I will have a think about what I could suggest

Whatsername17 Sat 13-May-17 18:47:49

Take her to the doctors to rule out an infection.

neonrainbow Sat 13-May-17 18:52:56

Consequences at home every time her teacher reports that she's been doing it at school. You've told her its not appropriate.

catsatonthemat Thu 25-May-17 21:23:29

So it can be a form of self soothing..... Perhaps introduce other ways for her to self soothe or look up pattern interrupts so when she realises she is doing it, she can stop. Also take her to the gp in case it's a sign of something else

CountryCaterpillar Thu 25-May-17 21:25:39

Consequences at home for doing it in school is completely the opposite approach to what I'd take.

Is there a senco teacher? They might have ideas. Some sort of fidget too or other self soothing action she could do. And reassure her at home, encourage her to do so in private. Please don't make her feel bad for it sad

reallyanotherone Thu 25-May-17 21:26:19

Take her to the dr's to rule anything out.

Otherwise she could be exempted from the fidget spinner ban!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now