Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else battling through the 4 month sleep regression?

(18 Posts)
TeddyIsaHe Fri 12-May-17 09:12:46

Dd has just turned 4 months and don't I know it! She's gone from self-settling and only waking once or twice for a feed (she's ebf) to now only going to sleep with my nipple in her mouth and waking at least 5/6 times in the night. I know it's just a phase and will pass, but my word! I'm on my knees from tiredness and wondered if anyone else was experiencing it for a bit of a whinge and support!

mumofzach Fri 12-May-17 11:50:11

I hear you.

My LO is 4 months today and he has been waking more through the night and also has started waking for the day at 5am. I'm so tired and am really hoping that this is just a phase and that it will pass.

Naps have always been rubbish but at least I could count on the little monkey getting a good stretch of nighttime sleep. Now that's gone to pot!

At least we aren't alone!

Whatsername17 Fri 12-May-17 11:55:35

Me! I'm so tired. I keep falling asleep whilst booby feeding and I wake up. With dd all snuggled. It worries me that I'm causing a bad habit. I don't want to cosleep and feed through the night because I don't get any decent sleep and my hips become really painful. Any survival tips?

Whatsername17 Fri 12-May-17 12:00:36

My dd is also exactly 4 months today but sleep has been awful for about 10 days. She's previously done stretches and 3/4 hours. Then, at 14 weeks we had one, blissful 6 hour stretch. Now we are back to 90 minutes. sad

Beansprout30 Fri 12-May-17 21:12:16

We went through it bad with my dd when she hit 4 months, lasted 8 long weeks and was at my wits end! Had to co/sleep and then I thought omg I'll never get her in her own room, then almost over night she improved massively. Hang in there it will improve!

2014newme Fri 12-May-17 21:13:51

I had the opposite. At 4 months one of my twins finally hit the magical 9lb and slept through the night and every night since.

TeddyIsaHe Sat 13-May-17 08:36:50

Another terrible night and dd was up at 5 confused Her naps have completely gone to pot as well, so I spend an hour trying to settle her, and she wakes up 20 minutes later! Then she gets overtired and is impossible in the evening. No survival tips from me, I'm going slightly mad from lack of sleep. How did everyone else get on last night?

Whatsername17 Sat 13-May-17 09:33:00

Dd was up at 12, 2, 3 and 4 and then I coslept to get some sleep. Weekends are always a bit hit and miss because I can't always get her to go for a nap due to family being around. They want to play with her and it's just too distracting. I'm a zombie.

chloechloe Sat 13-May-17 14:06:19

Looks like there are a lot of us in this boat! DD2 is 5mo today and has been going through this for weeks. She doesn't settle for the night until 10pm, is awake every 2 hours (every 1.5 last night) and has 5-7 x 30 min naps a day so I spend my whole life trying to get her to sleep. Have a toddler as well so put the baby in the carrier for most naps which means my back is killing. That and co-sleeping in a stupid position after the first night waking makes me feel like I have the bones of an old granny.

I'm not sure there is anything to be done other than try to survive until they grow out of it!

TeddyIsaHe Sat 13-May-17 15:19:03

chloe How on earth do you manage with a toddler as well? Total respect for you right now, as just the one is doing me in! Dd has just gone down for her 2nd nap of the day since 9am, it's taken us 3 hours to get her to even contemplate sleeping. I've got the night off tonight and dh is taking over because I just can't function anymore on no sleep!

chloechloe Sat 13-May-17 20:05:35

teddy luckily my toddler is in nursery until 2:30 otherwise it would be a nightmare!

I hope you manage to get a good night's sleep tonight! Out of interest how are you getting the night off if your DD is EBF?

I'm hoping tonight will be better - it's rare to have two really bad nights in a row, so fingers crossed!

TeddyIsaHe Sun 14-May-17 16:01:11

I express and freeze so she has a little stash in the freezer. Ended up getting less sleep anyway because dh is so LOUD he woke me up every time she woke up 😂 Every 2 hours again, so I'm guessing it's definitely going to last a while now. We have the in-laws over for lunch and I've just sent them all on a walk so I can have 5 minutes peace!

Whatsername17 Sun 14-May-17 19:42:10

My dd2 was ebf until 3 months but I had issues with my supply and she went on a nursing strike. I've got a 5yo dd too and after 3 months of persevering and feeding constantly I decided to mix feed. Dd2 is much happier in general. She is a big baby. She had doubled her birth weight by 8 weeks. Ironically, her weight gain slowed down once we introduced formula. It's made no difference to sleep though. She has 3 ff per day, and then bf morning and night and then through the night. She is 18lb now - I'd hoped that was a healthy enough weight to start to sleep a bit longer, but no. Up every 2 hours at the minute sad

chloechloe Sun 14-May-17 19:55:34

Shame you didn't get a good night's sleep teddy after all.

Last night was even worse here - 40 minutes between some wakenings!

Whatsername17 Mon 15-May-17 08:43:13

Hideous night last night. Dd2 went down at 7.30 and slept until 1am. Then was up ever hour until 5am. I went to bed at 9 so managed to get a few hours. I think she is teething too. I'm exhausted beyond reason.

RosieposiePuddingandPi Mon 15-May-17 08:58:34

We're in the middle of this hideousness too sad
DS has never been a great sleeper but over the last month it's totally gone to pot and he's now taking an hour to go to sleep in the evening and wakes for at least an hour and a half in the middle of the night.
I'm on my own at the moment too as DH is on short deployment and is away for another week so it's zombie central here! I can't wait to get some sleep again!

TeddyIsaHe Fri 19-May-17 07:27:01

Something has worked for us! I actually had a decent nights sleep last night - 11pm-3am, and then back down to 5:30. I feel like a new person! I read a tip that putting baby down every 90 mins for a nap regardless of sleep cues helps, so we tried it yesterday and it's the first time EVER she has gone to sleep at night without a battle. It might just have been a one off, but I'm trying it again today and hoping it isn't a fluke. Just wanted to share in case it helps anyone else! How has everyone been?

TeddyIsaHe Fri 19-May-17 07:29:05

That should read 7pm-11pm and then 11-3 and up at 5:30. I wouldn't be so excited if she'd gone to bed at 11 😂

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now