Talk

Advanced search

What to feed a toddler in the car in the way to nursery!

(18 Posts)
wellwhatdoyouthink Thu 11-May-17 22:57:01

Any good tips?

LiveLifeWithPassion Thu 11-May-17 22:58:05

Is this in the morning? Toast?

teacher54321 Thu 11-May-17 22:58:57

Brioche and bananas

ZilphasHatpin Thu 11-May-17 22:59:17

Why aren't you feeding him at home, at the kitchen table, with bowls and spoons?

Wolfiefan Thu 11-May-17 23:00:33

I wouldn't. Choking risk with a young toddler.

owenjonesismyhero Thu 11-May-17 23:01:30

Banana. Anything non-choking.

Echo what Zilphashatpin said, but won't the nursery feed them?

Tootsiepops Thu 11-May-17 23:01:39

My daughter sometimes has Suckies, I think they are called. Basically yoghurt in a pouch.

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 11-May-17 23:02:34

Nothing. It's a choking hazard. Can he have breakfast at nursery?

Can't you feed before you go?

Gillian1980 Thu 11-May-17 23:51:37

I don't feed dd in the car in case she chokes.

I'll never forget my brother giving my nephew a snack in the car - I was driving, my brother was in passenger seat - and he began choking. Terrifying! Stopped immediately, but felt like forever in the moment.

When we have time (we're hopeless in the morning!) she has brekkie at home before we leave but sometimes she eats st nursery instead. All depends on timings. Quick brekkie at home for us is banana and a yoghurt, or one of those fruit & muesli purée pouches with oatcakes. With more time it's cereal, porridge, toast, crumpets or toasted muffins etc.

WellErrr Thu 11-May-17 23:58:03

Why do you need to feed them in the car?

ElleDubloo Fri 12-May-17 20:58:41

We give our toddler food to eat in the car too. It's never occurred to me that it would be a choking hazard. She doesn't choke when eating in the dining room, why would she be more likely to choke in the car?

Things my DD likes to nibble on the way to nursery include:
Apple
Pear
Grapes
Blueberries
Strawberries
Plain biscuit
Hot cross bun
Babybel cheese
Breadstick

Yes she is fed at nursery, but sometimes she needs an incentive to get strapped in the car.

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Fri 12-May-17 21:01:57

My dc aren't allowed to eat in the car after nearly losing a ds years ago choking.....

Gillian1980 Fri 12-May-17 22:16:45

It's not that they're more likely to choke in the car, but the issue is the delay in helping them. The time it takes to stop car, get them from their seat and then help them is greater.

Choking may not be a regular occurrence but it can happen at any time.

wobblywonderwoman Fri 12-May-17 22:19:56

I always give mine a banana in the morning but I never thought about a chocking risk

totaldiva Fri 12-May-17 22:23:04

I'm another who doesn't feed the kids in the car, I did a first aid course that said they had seen children die from choking in the car. Choking is often silent and parents don't notice in time.

I often give dd a snack in the buggy, she loves those sticks of cheddar cheese.

Awholelotofhot Sat 13-May-17 10:38:30

I would never feed mine in the car due to choking risk. They are more likely to choke in car as they're not as upright as at a table and the car is stopping and starting, going over bumps etc. Plus if it does happen how are you going to notice and get to them in time

ZilphasHatpin Sat 13-May-17 10:52:29

Yes to choking being silent! I was in my work canteen a few months ago, busy being antisocial on my phone. I heard my colleague cough but it was one single cough and nothing out of the oridnary so I didn't look up. A few seconds later she was slapping my shoulder, I looked up and she was flapping her hands at her mouth and her face was bright red. She was choking. I hadn't heard a single thing. Immediately started thumping her back and it wouldnt shift, had to attempt the Heimlich manoeuvre without actually knowing how to do it properly and eventually it came out. Now imagine I had been driving and she was a child strapped in who couldn't reach me to slap my shoulder? Or let's say I noticed eventually she was choking I then have to pull the car over without causing an accident, get out and go round to the back seat, get the child out of their straps and seat and try and dislodge the blockage, all in the small space of a car or on a road and in a heightened state of panic.

ElleDubloo Sat 13-May-17 19:08:17

This is a big eye opener. It's something that's never occurred to me before, but I won't be giving my toddler food in the car in future. Thanks posters.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now