Talk

Advanced search

9 month old routine

(24 Posts)
CBeebieseveryday Wed 10-May-17 07:58:53

Hello please can you tell me your 9 month olds routine??
I feel like my sons routine is all over the place and it's contributing to his constant night wakings, I think!

This was yesterday:
6am wake
7:00 breakfast
8:30nap
9:15 wakes
10:50 nap
11:50 wakes
12:00 lunch
1:30 nap
2:00 wakes (sometimes he has a longer nap here or another short nap after 3)
5:00 dinner
6:00 start bedtime as he is knackered
6:30 bed
9:00 wakes fussing, took 1-2oz milk, put back to bed
9:20 crying, settle him and put him back
9:35 crying, settle him and put him back
10:00 as above
10:15 he was moaning but did settle himself
12:00 took 4-5 oz milk
4:00 took 6oz milk
5:50 awake for day
07:00 breakfast but too tired to really want it
07:45.put to bed to nap, he is still awake now but happy playing in cot whereas he was crying beforehand as he is tired

He has milk throughout the day but refuses a bottle so has a first soppy cup with straw I would guess over the day he around 15oz maybe less, overnight he is happy to take a bottle and will drain them most nights.

Unless he is poorly or teething I have been able to put him in his cot and he will self settle, he has a dummy and comforters but I just can't get the night sleep sorted angry
So am interested to see how his "routine" differs from others

JustMyLuckUnfortunately Wed 10-May-17 08:07:13

Following to reply later

CBeebieseveryday Wed 10-May-17 08:33:40

Thank you smile

CBeebieseveryday Wed 10-May-17 18:19:27

Anyone grin

ODog Wed 10-May-17 19:59:03

My baby is a bit older but her 'routine' was much the same a couple of months ago.

Wake up breastfeed 5.30-6.30
7.30 - breakfast
8.30-9.30 - nap and bf on waking
9.30 - out to toddler group/library/shops/park etc
12pm - home for lunch
1-2pm - nap and bf on waking
2-5pm - play at home/chores
5pm - dinner
6pm- bath/bf/bed for 6.30

1-2 wake ups during the night. Bf back to sleep. We cosleep.

Night wake ups can be due to lots of things. Development leaps are always a big one with my 2 DCs. We cosleep and that seems to keep mine more settled. Not for everyone but worth a try?

BettyOBarley Wed 10-May-17 20:13:12

DS is almost 8 months so slightly younger but I can't imagine much changing...
Our routine looks quite similar to be honest but less naps.

6.30am wakes
7.00 bottle
8.30 breakfast
9.30 nap
10.00/10.15 wakes
11.00 bottle
1.00 lunch
2.00 nap
2.45 wakes
3.00 bottle
5.00 dinner
6.00 bottle + bed by 6.30

So he doesnt nap much but then sleeps through. He has about 20-24oz milk in total but hes a big boy!

Could you maybe try encouraging a little more milk during the day? does he eat well?

AntagonyAunt Wed 10-May-17 20:28:25

Have you tried only offering him water when he wakes during the night? After doing that my son started sleeping right through or waking and taking a few sips of water before going straight back to sleep.

RedLemonade Wed 10-May-17 20:31:29

Here's mine.
Wake 6/7am
BF
Bit of fruit at 7/7.30
Nap 3 hours or so after waking for an hour or two
Weetabix or toast and yoghurt when wakes O'R before nap if it's a later one
BF and lunch 1pm
BF and nap 3pm ish for 40 mins or so
Dinner 5/5.30
Bath/bedtime prep at 6.30 for 7pm bedtime
Night wakes for BF vary- minimum of 3 wakes, most often 11, 1 or 2, 3 or 4, 5ish and then wake between 6 & 7 for the day.

Her nights have always been like this.
Solids didn't help, teeth finally emerging didn't help, learning to crawl didn't help, activity doesn't help, more or less naps don't help, not allowing any BF until past midnight didn't help, co-sleeping didn't help.

I don't know OP. I'm useless for advice. Sympathy though! I'm tiredsad

RedLemonade Wed 10-May-17 20:34:44

Hmm interesting Antagony, I was toying with the idea of water tonight. Might give it a go. I've given everything else a shot!

Funnyface1 Wed 10-May-17 21:14:30

My baby is nearly 9 months:

She's gets up around 7.30, has a bottle, plays, goes for a nap around 9.30 or 10. Gets up, plays for a bit has lunch. Plays, then bottle. Afternoon nap, then food. Plays, evening bottle and bed. Some nights has a bath before last bottle. Wakes in night sometimes for dummy putting back in.

CBeebieseveryday Thu 11-May-17 10:37:12

Thank you everyone, I will try to answer all the questions smile

Co sleeping isn't for us, I also don't think that ds would cope with it, he is such a wriggler and does seem to enjoy his freedom in the cot. He rarely falls asleep anywhere except his cot and I would get even less sleep than I do now.

He eats ok, he has porridge for breakfast and milk is available throughout the day in his soppy cup, he has half a pouch of food plus a yogurt for lunch and half a pouch of food with a full pouch of fruit puree for dinner, I offer him a bottle of milk before bed but rarely takes anymore than 3 oz. I give him a few rice cakes mid morning and afternoon too.

Last night he had 18oz of milk over night shock

I haven't tried giving water, my concern is that he just won't settle - he is very stubborn so I can't imagine him taking it well but I could give it a go!

You have my sympathy RED it's so hard isn't it, we just came through a developmental leap and teething, that was hard - 14 times we were up to him each night for 3 nights sad so so hard!!

It's reassuring that bed time seems fairly similar as I was thinking 6:30 was perhaps too early but there is no way I could keep him up later than that.

I'm so tired brew my eldest was never a good sleeper either but this seems worse/harder!

CBeebieseveryday Thu 11-May-17 10:38:32

Did you try water overnight RED? How did it go?

plimsolls Thu 11-May-17 10:52:15

Are you sure that's enough food? My daughter is same age and I had to really up her food intake to get her sleep back on track(ish) after starting solids. We're not totally there by any means but I found that fruit pouches just weren't enough- they filled her up and reduced the amount of breastmilk she took but weren't a nutritious enough substitute if you see what I mean.

Anyway
Up for the day about 8:30
Breastfeed
Nap 10:30-11:30/12
Lunch 12:30/1
Breastfeed
Nap 3-4
Dinner 5:30-6:30 (takes ages but she's partly self feeding, partly being spoon fed and she'll eat a lot more like that)
Bathtime 7:00
Breastfeed 7:30
In cot by 8

She's waking a few times hungry but also going through a developmental leap.

Ideally, her bedtime would be earlier.

It'd be better if she ate a little more but her meals are:

Breakfast
Some toast and a large pouch of fruit+baby rice

Lunch
Half avocado
Full pouch of veg/meat/carb (such as Ella's chicken casserole or a Babease sweet potato and quinoa one)
Wafers or rice cake type thing
Sticks of pear

Dinner
Avocado (cut into sticks to self feed but I also mash it and add it to whatever I'm spoon feeding her)
Small portion of a meal puréed, containing meat+carb (such as chicken and pasta cooked in low salt stock)
Veg to self feed (such as bits of broccoli)
Something to self feed such as lentils or cous cous
Sometimes some of another pouch (usually a Babease one that's got quinoa or brown rice in it)
Some of a fruit pouch (usually prunes or pears)

(Some of the above goes on the floor and that list is very much a "good day" but I do find her sleep has been far better since I've started getting more protein, startchy carbs and fat in her, not just fruity type pouches)

foxessocks Thu 11-May-17 11:10:35

9 months is hard. Our routine is roughly:

6-7am wake up and breastfeed
8-9 downstairs have breakfast porridge or weetabix
9 ish nap for about 45 minutes
Sometimes a breastfeed mid morning or sometimes a little snack and drink bread stick or biscuit or fruit
12 lunch and he might have breastfeed if he didn't mid morning or he'll have a bit of my dds sandwich or eggs or something
Then usually an afternoon nap around 2 or 3 or if he had an early morning nap then he might have a nap over lunchtime and a late nap at 3 or 4 . I think they go from 3 to 2 naps at this age and this can also at havoc generally with their sleep!
Breastfeed mid afternoon
Dinner 5.30 whatever we're having , veg, potato etc and then he has a yogurt or a fruit pot
Breastfeed at 7pm before bed and then sleep. Usually up twice a night for feeds and ends up in our bed from about 3am! We don't intend to co sleep but after second wake up I can't never be bothered to put him back in his room. It works fairly well for us but everyone is different and with my dd I never co slept because she was far to wiggly and kept me awake.

CBeebieseveryday Thu 11-May-17 11:11:09

No I don't feel he eats enough foods but I just cannot get him to eat more, I have only just got him to half a pouch! He isn't great with non purée food, constant gagging and it puts him off! I feel he is underweight for his age, he is still wearing 3-6 month trousers. He has a kidney issue and so is under hospital care, we are due to see his consultant in a few weeks where we can discuss his eating, as it could be because he has daily preventative anti biotics which may make him feel a bit yuk! We won't know until he is able to tell us.
I don't know how to increase his appetite

AntagonyAunt Fri 12-May-17 08:55:56

His day routine seems to be pretty normal in terms of naps. I know it's exhausting but maybe you should keep the night feeds up if he isn't eating/drinking as much as he should be. Definitely ask the staff at the Sure Start Centre or your GP before you make any changes.
I worried that my son might stop gaining as much weight when I cut the night feed out but he hasn't. But in my case he has dinner at 8pm-ish and doesn't go down for the night until 10 so it was only really one night feed at about 2am that I stopped.

mellysam Fri 12-May-17 09:14:41

Compared with my two it doesn't sound like he is getting as much milk in the daytime.
This is our routine at 8 and a half months, boy girl twins. All milk feeds are 7oz formula and they pretty much drink it all.

7am wake up (sometimes they wake before but chatter away in their cots, we get them up at 7am, or just after if we hit snooze)
8am milk
9/9.30am nap (varies between 30 mins to 1 hour)
11.30am milk
1pm-ish nap
3pm milk
6.30pm start bedtime
7pm bedtime milk
10.30pm milk

They used to have a nap at 4pm but seem to have dropped that.

Our girl will sleep through, the last week or so our boy has started waking at 4am and sometimes will resettle with a hug/rock and sometimes we have to give milk but then we give 5oz.

As you can see they are not eating solids as any 'meals'. We give them bits to try once a day, banana, mashed butternut squash etc. but they are still only just showing an interest and not eating enough to constitute a meal.

mellysam Fri 12-May-17 09:19:36

Just re-read your first post, you can get him to take a bottle at night but not in the day, and he is drinking most of his milk at night.
Sounds like he might have gotten into the habit of having most of his food at night, therefore I wouldn't offer him water at night because that milk he is having will be good nutrients for him.
Sorry that probably doesn't help much.

Writerwannabe83 Fri 12-May-17 09:23:55

At that age my son's routine was all over the place and his sleep was atrocious so we sought out advice from a Sleep Consultant and as well as sort out his sleep issues she also gave me a day time routine to follow:

6am - wake up.
6.30 - breakfast
09.30 - nap for 90 mins until 11.00
12.00 - lunch.
2pm - nap for 90 minutes until 3.30
4.30 - evening meal.
6.30 - upstairs for a bath
7pm - into bedroom for stories etc
7.30 - leave him to go to sleep.

He followed this routine pretty much until he was about 2 years old where his two naps instead became one longer nap after lunch.

allthegoodnamesalreadytaken Fri 12-May-17 10:15:38

I've got a 9 month old and I struggle to even get half a pouch in her so you're not alone there. She is on the 75th centile for weight though so not worried. Breast fed babies tend to be smaller than formula fed babies because they only eat as much as they need and don't overeat.

Her routine looks like this:-

7am wake up and breastfeed
7:45 breakfast usually weetabix porridge or toast. She hates being spoon fed so will only have about six spoonfuls of food and roughly half a finger of toast

9am naptime - usually for 45 mins - 1 hour

10-12 out for the day to baby sensory, hartbeeps play dates etc

12pm lunchtime - usually fusilli pasta in tomato sauce (if doing blw) or half a jar of hipp organic or two ice cubes of casserole if it's something i've pre made. This is followed by half a pot of mini petit filous

12:30pm naptime of 1 hour (breastfeed to sleep)

1:30-3pm playtime and lots of "walking practice" around the house and the garden to burn some energy

3pm afternoon snack usually rice cake or fruit pot etc

3:30-4:30 nap time (45 mins - 1 hour)

5pm dinner time - usually just some of what we are having typically grilled salmon or grilled herby chicken and sometimes a jacket potato. She'll happily eat it as long as it's coming from our plate but not if it's on hershmm

5:30-6 playtime

6pm bath time followed by story and breastfeed to sleep.

Sleeps usually 7

allthegoodnamesalreadytaken Fri 12-May-17 10:18:22

sorry posted before I had finished writing. She sleeps at 7 then her first wake up is at 11ish then 1am then 3am then 5am then finally up about 7. She starts off in her own room but then I co sleep by the time it gets to about 3am

CBeebieseveryday Sat 13-May-17 10:13:13

Thank you for your replies.
We had a hideous night last night, he screamed hard most of night and wouldn't settle, I have had about 2 hours sleep. He isn't himself this morning, lethargic and crying a lot. He doesn't like anyone other than me touching him, his brother gave him a kiss and he burst into tears sad I am waiting to get out of hours appt as with his history we are worried he has an infection. Maybe this is why he has been out of sorts lately!?
Overall it seems his routine is standard as yours are very similar. Which fills me with some comfort that I am not doing something wrong!

jennifer86 Sat 13-May-17 14:39:16

Ah, I hope he's ok, CBeebies. Yes if he's coming down with something then that would explain him being unsettled the last few nights. I think if he's got a long-term kidney problem then I wouldn't stop the night feeds until you've spoken to his consultant. I know it's hard but I think you have to be led by him. I know my DS suddenly seemed to pick up his eating around 9-10 months, before that we kept offering things and would try them but was still having 7 milk feeds in a day (including 1-2 overnight). At that age he was down to 2 naps a day, about 1.5hrs each. So that's something you could maybe work on (For us it often involved staying with him when he napped and stroking/rocking back to sleep when he woke briefly, though, so I can understand that was only possible as he had no older siblings and a second child couldn't get the same treatment!) Good luck and I hope he gets better soon.

CBeebieseveryday Sat 13-May-17 19:34:33

The Dr took a temp of 38.6 and couldn't find any other reason for it so we think he has an infection so is on anti biotics now. He slept ok this morning but this afternoon refused to nap, went to bed well but woke 40 mins later, dp just put him back but I can see it's going to be a long night! sad
I will reassess the situation once he is feeling better I think
Thank you for posting smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now