Talk

Advanced search

What did you teach you 1 year old first in terms of speaking

(37 Posts)
BusyBee2017 Mon 08-May-17 22:12:11

What did you teach you 1 year old first in terms of speaking?

I.e. Animals? Animal sounds? Numbers, shapes? Or something else

Did you concentrate on a topic a week?

christinarossetti Mon 08-May-17 22:16:31

I don't think many people approach speech that systematically!

Just chat to them, listen to them, sing, recite nursery rhymes.

I think numbers normally come a bit later on!

BusyBee2017 Mon 08-May-17 22:24:47

DS1 is great with eating and physically he is very mobile but speech he is a bit slow but maybe that's a boy thing..

He is starting to repeat words .. guess I just need to speak even more with him and repeat so he can attempt to say more words.

He does say a lot of words though including yoghurt and does say round and round

ThatItBe Mon 08-May-17 22:28:17

Just chat.
Talk about what's happening, what there is to see and have fun.
Looking at and reading simple baby books is good too.

AugustCarrot Mon 08-May-17 22:29:28

I didn't 'teach' mine anything I just talked to him lots, told him what we were doing, why etc and read to him lots. He's 4 now and he never shuts up.

Millybingbong Mon 08-May-17 22:30:15

Donto actually talk non stop. Just chat normally and a bit slower for emphasis. You don't have to teach them a syllabus.
Say the name of the toy they are playing with etc.

ineedamoreadultieradult Mon 08-May-17 22:30:35

I dont think many people approach learning to speak like that. Unless there are any SN it should just come from him being around language through hearing speech and him practicing sounds.

acornsandnuts Mon 08-May-17 22:30:39

Animals was a Favourite in our house. Clothing, food. Really anything that's in there eye sight.

starsinyourpies Mon 08-May-17 22:31:24

Read lots of books and discuss what is on the pages, they soon build up vocabulary in the areas that are important. In my experience that was food and animals!

ThatItBe Mon 08-May-17 22:32:57

A topic a week! That's daft. Sorry but really, just chat- 'hello littlebusybee, bath time, yes time for splashing. We're going to take the socks off, here they go. Now the nappy and upsy and into the bath. Mmm nice isn't it?'
That kind of twaddle.

Fitzsimmons Mon 08-May-17 22:35:50

Relax, he sounds perfectly normal for a one year old. I didn't aim to teach my son anything, I just played with him, read to him, sang songs etc. By the time he was 2 he had the speech of a typical 3 year old. My brother did the same with his son, but his speech took a lot longer to develop. He was more interested in other things. Every child is different and achieves things in their own time. If he still isn't really talking when he is 2 then you need to investigate further but in the meantime focus on enjoying your child.

Emma2803 Mon 08-May-17 22:36:11

Agree with pp, didn't really set out to teach. Just general talking and see what they pick up. Every child is different and will pick things up at different times. It depends what interests them too. Ds first words were tractor and quack quack. He picked up animal names and sounds first as he likes animals and had some farm yard books. Then the colours were next. He knows the names of numbers and can recite to 10 but doesn't know what they mean if you know what I mean.
He didn't really say much until he was 16 months and gradually built up from there, he is 25 months now.
We read a lot and sing nursery rhymes and I pause to let him finish the line. He can recite a few now.

oneplus2is3 Mon 08-May-17 22:36:16

Just talk to him. Explain what you are doing, eating, going. Describe pictures in books etc. Ask him to repeat sometimes. He is still very young.

My DS is 2 and just starting to say a few words (he's a twin and prem so was expecting some delay- his paediatrician and HV not worried so I'm determined not to either). Everyone keeps telling me boys are just a bit slower and anecdotally all the boys I know haven't said much before 2.

Relax- speech will come. I bet he has great motor skills wink.

NannyR Mon 08-May-17 22:40:39

I agree that just chatting, reading stories and singing nursery rhymes is the best way to allow their language to develop but if you wanted to do something a bit more structured as well I can really recommend babytalk by Dr Sally ward. I use it a lot with the children I look after.

ScarlettFreestone Mon 08-May-17 22:45:59

My two are twins and they were a bit behind their singleton peers in learning to speak i. e when most of their friends could sing the words to Happy Birthday they were still in single words.

At nine years old they are both bright and highly articulate with a vocabulary that is well beyond what is expected for their age.

The race is not to the swift and hitting milestones early means very little in the long run.

Just talk to him, read to him and sing with him

FreeButtonBee Mon 08-May-17 22:49:43

Agree just chat. But books that they can point at pictures were a massive hit in. Y house. Things like 100 first words or books of animal/vehicles/noises etc mean that you can point and say the words, building up to saying the word and getting him to point and then then pointing and saying the word. Be warned though. It gets VERY repetitive! My DS2 (21 mo) could read the same book over and over and over. But that's how they learn.

BusyBee2017 Mon 08-May-17 23:14:17

Thank you all.

Sorry I have just put 1 year old I should have been more specific - he is almost 2, he is 20 months. He says single words such as dada, maaaa (that's what he calls me lol), yoghurt, round and round (after nursery rhyme) hello, baba (for baby), quack quack, woof woof.

He loves his books and yes they do get repetitive always seems to pick the same 3 or 4 books out of 30 books

chloechloe Tue 09-May-17 08:52:30

It sounds like he's speaking like most 20 month olds.

Children tend to advance more quickly with the things that interest them the most - so maybe your son's gross motor skills are ahead of others' for example. Also the range of 'normal' is huge.

Just because he isn't saying more words doesn't mean he can't. My just turned 2 year old was playing by herself one day and sang the whole of Twinkle Twinkle to herself much to my surprise. I find they tend to come on in leaps and bounds - one minute they only seem to be saying the same 5 words and then all of a sudden they talk non-stop.

I agree with PP to just approach it organically - talk normally about what you're doing, eating etc and read lots of books. Use proper sentences but simple ones spoken clearly and slowly and put emphasis on important words and repeat them. So if he says "Dah" for example reply "Yes it's a dog. He's a big dog isn't he. Look how the dog wags his tail." With emphasis on dog. As somebody who's quite quiet I felt like an idiot at first but it soon comes naturally!

ThatsNotMyMummy Tue 09-May-17 08:59:46

Like a PP says i found mine would develop one area and when they had mastered that move on. So yours could have been so busy concentrating on walking, once they've sussed that its onto the next thing. I expected them to learn everything at once (like a school day) but it doesn't seem to work like that.

You just need to talk, inane mundane observations. Remember play is the key

Garlicansapphire Tue 09-May-17 09:01:16

You dont teach kids to speak - it develops naturally

SoupDragon Tue 09-May-17 09:06:00

DS1 is great with eating and physically he is very mobile but speech he is a bit slow but maybe that's a boy thing..

No, it is just a child thing! They are all different smile

As others have said, you don't teach them to speak, you just talk to them and around them.

memyselfandaye Tue 09-May-17 09:17:29

Be careful what you wish for.

Once they start talking they never stop. EVER, you can't even pee in peace.

SoupDragon Tue 09-May-17 10:49:38

That's not quite true. DS1 mostly stopped when he became a fully fledged teenager smile

Whatsername17 Tue 09-May-17 12:12:36

Chat. Ask open questions and don't answer for him. For example, 'do you want the blue ball or the red ball?' If he responds, great. If he picks it up but doesn't respond verbally, model it to him 'oh, you want the blue ball!'. And relax too. He will spend enough of his childhood following a carefully constructed curriculum when he goes to school.

Caterina99 Tue 09-May-17 19:37:39

Like everyone above I never set out to "teach" a specific topic. DS was pretty into animals so had a wide repertoire of animal noises at 20 months and not much else. I guess if something interests them and once they do one or two they pick up more of the same thing. So some toddler friends the exact same age could do colours for example but then others could name foods, or vehicles or whatever. I doubt any of us parents sat and specifically ignored colours and just taught about fork lift trucks, but you are guided by your child and they all seem to catch up eventually

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now